Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

projects...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BoognishMang, May 6, 2002.

1. i have a squire i want to paint(flames)
    can anyone direct me to any post involving repainting (refinishing).
    I'm looking for a DIY project.
    It's black...I was thinking of painting the flames over the black, still not sure how it would look.
    Any ideas or links?
    thanks

2. Well, I saw a Jesse James (of West coast Choppers) documentary, and I noticed he has a really cool way of doing flames on gas tanks and whatnot.

He placed masking tape over the areas he was going to paint, then very carefully cut out the flames with a razor blade. Paint the exposed area, then peel off the tape after the paint dries.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, even though this is about a guitar, I think that it would be better off in Setup.

There are a few guys who hang out there that like to roll their own, they are sure to have some tips on paint.

4. Pick up any of the Hot Rod magazines (Street Rodder, Hot Cars, etc.) and you'll find examples of flame jobs. Color flames on black is classic but flames are a finicky shape. If they aren't well thought out and well executed, they'll look like crap.

5. My vote is that you find flame decals, or make them on an ink jet printer, then apply them over the black finish and apply a coat or two of clear coat over them. If you want to see what flames look like over a black guitar go look at James Hetfields sig series guitars on the ESP web site.