Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Prollems with my band...im in a jam.(no pun intended)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JAL, Mar 24, 2005.

1. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Background info.
    Me and my band have been together fer about 2 years. Its us three; me on bass, a guitarist and drummer. They arent good musicians (im the only one with talent..I hate to sound like a dick talking about it) , but we have a good time sometimes. Also, my drummer has a bit of a timing, ego, and general attitude problem.

Problem: We never have time to practice! We have a small gig comin up in a month and im crazy busy, and we just have no time. My drummer has been ranting on how he wants to end it and stuff if we cant practice, and my guitarist is completely noncommittal about anything.
    My question:

Do i leave, abandone these goons, screw the negative vibe drummer and find other area players, and move on? ANd lose the friendship(s)?

Or do i try to tought it out and continue dealin? Its just such a drag.

Answers from creative thinking or experience welcome.

2. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    (Bluto) My advice to you is to start drinking heavily. (/Bluto)

Seriously though, if you're committed to the gig, fulfill your committments, then move on and find a band that fits you better.

Cheers,
    Chris

3. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    We arenet committed...drummer canceled without consultation.(just found out)

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    If everyone's that busy to begin with, that band will never last. No practicing = quick death. I'd say get yourself some free time and commit yourself to a band :). Just my $0.02

Ray

5. If you are crazy busy, aren't you the one that is causing the problem then? Not to be a jerk, but how are you so busy that you can't spend a couple hours a week to practice? Is it school, work, etc? Perhaps you can rearrange your schedule to eek out some extra time.

Personally, I think that sometimes when people say they are too busy, they aren't _trying_ to make time for practice.

It sounds like you aren't that happy with your band anyway. It is probably a good time to quit and look for something that fits you better.

6. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    thanks ray.
    See, the funny thing is; I have freetime, but their busy when im free and vive versa. Bad scheduling karma lol. Besides, when your drummer cant beat a 4/4, youl get frustrated :)
    There are some very talented players aroudn, time to start lookin i guess.
    Thanks for the good help, as allways, TBers.

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Yeah, I had a band like that at one point... good guys to work with though in my case... we just could never get together, except for about once a week... that band didn't last long at all though. We all knew it, and I quit... they stayed together... last I heard they're still together, but have no idea what to do etc.

Ray

8. Yep, agree with most of the points.

here's my $0.02.

I don't agree with the whole "too busy, no time" thing. its like spending time with your girlfriend, or going to the gym. If its important in your life, then you will find or make the time.

Sometimes you need to say - "Sorry, I am not available on Thursday afternoons for any reason. I have band commitments" Never say "band practise" because it doesn't sound as important. If you use the word "commitment", people realise that it is important and you will not compromise.

Hope it works out for you.

9. I'd quit...

and determine how much a band means to YOU.

10. JAL

JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Yea...i agree. I think it would mean more if they were good and we made good music, ya know?

11. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I am in a similar situation. Dealing with egos, attitudes, stupidity, and bad musicmanship. I am starting a side project, ahhhh I feel so much better. I don't want to waste 3 years with this band I am in but it's going no where fast for many reason, mostly just bad musicians and the personal issues amplify everything 10x. I decided to play in two bands and see what happens. There's nothing like a little competition to wake people up, if they don't get thier act together I have plan B.

12. My band is made up of 2 M.D.s, 1 MD student, 1 MD/phD student, and one MD/MBA student. We all have completely different schedules and the MD's work hours are usually about 80/week, yet we still find time to practice--where there's a will, there's a way!

Communicate with each other and committ to practicing and you'll find a way. If they don't have the same level of committment, find some folks who do.