Promise & Despair

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by rickbass, Aug 21, 2002.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Wanted to ask how many, or if, anyone has checked out The Vines and Glassjaw and what your thoughts are regarding what they produce.

Personally - I am almost shocked by Glassjaw's songwriting complexity and intelligence for guys who are so young. I have great hopes for thier bassist, Dave Allen, is actually "musical."

On the downside, I saw a live broadcast of The Vines and couldn't help but think of The Strokes - over-hyped posers with a bassist who practically has to drool on his fret position markers because he is so inept. The "Vines" recordings make them sound capable. But, playing live, I saw an incredible lack of skill with the Vines' bass player (I wouldn't dignify him with the term, "bassist") when I saw video of him trying to cover up his ineptitude as he stared down his neck position markers.....(like the equally sad "White Stripes" or "The Strokes")???

Just wondering what you all think of either band, Glassjaw or The Vines or both. Maybe I'll learn something, who knows???

Let's just keep it civil and respect each others' opinions, please.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Don't care for the whole "rock" thing going on right now with the Hives, Strokes, White Stripes, Vines, ect.

Now Glassjaw...I honestly hated Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence. With no real vocal choruses (call me old fashioned) it sounded like open mic night for a hour. It wasn't bad, far from it, but it was tiresome for me. With any luck Worship and Tribute might redeem them for me.
  3. the vines are not bad, i cant remeber what glass jaw are like but ive defiently heard them.
  4. rickbass

Well, that's why I put this up to see what others know. I haven't heard/seen Glassjaw live. But what they did impressed the dinky-doo out of me because the are so young.

When I firstsaw/heard thieir very good song, "Cosompolitan Bloodloss." I thought - "Oh crap! Another tatooed screaming jerk with a bass player who never fretted above the 5th fret of his B and E strings" :rolleyes:

How wrong I was! As the latest "Bass Player Magazine" says about their bassist David Allen -

"...Allen's powefurl, percussive playing and warm sonic textures add profunidity ....his contrrapuntal upper-register creativity and fearlesssness....."

By, gawd!!! This guy actually goes above the 7th fret and actually plays melodies!!!

No - he's not "great." But neither were any of today's "greats" at that young age. I just see promise.
  5. rickbass

But, morty, have you seen them play live?!?!

"Inept" and "atrocious" are too kind to use as adjective for them.

I dont begrudge them for their ages, just that they are getting pushed at us. As my bass-god John Entwistle said ;

"when I was that age, my playing was at that stage stage, too. The only difference was that I wasn't already famous."

In his typically subtle way, he was saying the standards for bassists are deteriorating.

My sincere hope is that you younger guys will make being a "bassist" a more respectable position again.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I just spend some time listening to Glassjaw for the first time in about a year.

I was wrong. They guys rule! It's been so long that I guess I grew into it or something. Dang, now I'm all about the Glassjaw.

Might have to go pick up that new CD now!

Holy 180's Batman!

7. no i havent
  8. rickbass

Consider yourself "fortunate."

In the 60's we had a similar band - "Freddy and the Dreamers" (except they didn't fall over the amps and drums to end the song because Freddy & The Dreamers could musically close the song).

Recorded, I thought the Vines where at least "accpetable." But when I saw them live, "bottom feeders" was the first term that came to mind.
  9. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Vines=a bit harder than the Strokes but still a rip-off

Glassjaw=beautiful new music

Worship and Tribute is great. I bought it without ever hearing a song cuz I heard so many good things about them and after awhile of listening to this cd I love it now. Theyre bass player is really melodic and Glassjaw can do everything. Ive been trying to find Everything You Ever Wanted to know for quite some time now so I think i may just have to get it off the internet.
  10. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    Diggin it up!

Ok I think The Vines are a great band and their frontman Craig is a good song writer and puts things together very well, but his strengths are in the studio. He said himself in Rolling Stone this month that he feels he's much better when he's in the studio than on stage and The vines have only toured for about a year since theyve been a band. He's just getting used to playing in front of a large amount of people...that and he smokes a hell of alot of pot.

"Remember kids, up with hope down with dope!"

"Stay in drugs dont do milk and drink your school!"-Mr. T on "Tv Funhouse"