Promo Pack Question

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Gabu, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Would you get your pictures professionally done for your Promo, or just one good pics that you already have?
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Personal preference really. I wouldn't say it makes a HUGE difference if the pics you have are already good.

If you do a photo shoot yourself, expect an average of one usable pic per two or three rolls of film.

The old adage says that if you're choosing between putting money into CD quality or press pack quality, go for the CD quality.
  3. I think every band should have studio shots of the band and each band member - better focus, less background clutter.

Doesn't necessarily mean you need to shell out the big bucks but have it done in a professional style.

I have a digital camera so I can experiment as much as I want!
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have a digital camera that we have used with some pretty professional looking results. Like rabid_granny said, you can experiment all ya want with one of them. That is what we did, until we got the results that we wanted.
  5. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    My fiance works as a photographer at a Sears Portrait Studio and she lets me take my bands in there when the studio doesn't have appointments, or after they close, and take all the pics I want with my digital camera using their backdrops, lighting, etc. It works out great.

It's easier when your fiance works there, but if you ask nicely and/or flirt with the nice girls that usually work at these studios, I'd imagine they'd be more than happy to give you the same privileges.

Even though you're using a digital camera and not a professional analog camera, you still have all the professional aspects of a studio, and you can take a million pictures until you're happy with a few. And usually if the studio girls are in a good mood, they'll be more than happy to take the pics for you and/or suggest positioning ideas, etc.

I return the favor where my fiance works by recommending their studio to as many families and friends as I can, especially around holidays. They help my band save a few bucks on photos, and I help them make additional sales. It's a win-win situation that I think most studios would be excited to be a part of.
  6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Make sure your photos are easily reproduced. Your promo pic could be blown up into a poster, be used for a newspaper clip, photocopied into flyers, pasted onto a website, etc. You'll need it to be presentable through various forms of media and still maintain a professional look.

Run your picture through a photocopier and see what the results look like. If everything turns black or gets washed out, then you'll need to do some tweaking. If it's in color, see how it will turn out if it were black and white. Blow up the picture a couple of sizes larger to make sure that it doesn't accentuate the zit on your chin or other things you don't want the viewer to see. Just as well, you'll also want to see how much detail you will lose if the picture is shrunk or enlarged.

If you are using a digital camera, do not use what you see on a computer monitor to determine if it's of good enough quality. In the same way you want your CD to sound good on a cheap boombox as well as expensive studio monitors, the same should go for your pictures. Print out you pictures on as many forms of media you can when you are making your evaluations.

As far as pictures go, don't underestimate their value. Many potential clients will look at a picture first to determine if they will even listen to your CD. As musicians, it doesn't seem rational or fair, but that's the may many non-musicians are.
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    And again for emphasis.
  8. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    Get professional pictures and compare the amateur. If they stack up, use them.
  9. nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    +1 on the photocopy it black and white first.

Hint: If you are dark skinned, wearing a red t shirt and standing against a black background is going to make you turn into eyes and teeth when your flier is copied black and white (for those cheap "put everywhere" promos). I manage a copy department....and I see it all the time. :D

Red, dark blue, and dark green will photocopy black black. If you get someone to take your pics, let them know you'll be using them black and white also.....a halfway decent photographer will understand about color tones and how they translate black and white and will not position the dark person in the shadows..:ninja:

In my case, it sucketh because I do photography for there's plenty of pictures of the rest of the group (that I've taken) and I gotta make do with blurry ones of me..:crying: It never hurts to pass a friend who's a photo buff a few bucks and a free dinner to come out to a gig and do promo shots for you! :)