Promo vid. What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dogbertday, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    Made a new promo video for a band I started this year.
    I'm hoping to get some opinions on it from an editing/production point of view.

What do you like or dislike?
    Maybe post promo videos you think are exceptional?

Thanks guys!!!

2. A couple things will make these better fast, IMO, IME.

1. Create a band look. It can be anything, but it should be flattering and cohesive. You don't all have to match perfectly, but you should look good together and like you talked about it.

2. Get video of this band look. Lots of video and lots of good video.

3. There's lots of pitchy bits in there, try to minimize that. Getting a seperate recording to sync up might be the way to go.

Get as much video as you can and try to mix up the angles so things look interesting. Fans dancing is good.

Here's my band's. It's hardly perfect and it's always a work in progress, but we've built a look and a sound that translates, and finally have some half-decent footage (decent footage is so important).

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  3. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135 Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Generally, I think shorter is better with this type of promo. A verse & chorus from each song would suffice, or perhaps throw in a guitar solo too. 60 to 90 seconds total. I prefer the video clips over the still pics. The opening pic is uncomfortably long -- I'd get somebody to take more video and pics at the next gig or rehearsal. Audio of the video clips is a bit raw thought my headphones -- maybe you could have somebody clean it up for you? I see you have a band logo...I'd start and end the promo with that.

I'll acknowledge that getting good DIY demo clips is a chore. I've made a concerted effort at several gigs, and something goes wrong every single time which compromises the finished product. Seems like it's hard to get BOTH good video AND good audio. One thing I'd like to try is recording multi-track audio at a gig off my mixer AND have several friends video tape the same batch of songs from different camera angles -- with the goal of editing it all together to represent parts of 3 or 4 songs in a 90 second promo video.

4. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135 Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Very nicely done. It shows me what your band is all about: how you look and sound, your stage presence, and the types of events you play (looks like a high-profile NYE gig). The only thing that's missing is a call to action...contact info at the end, etc. I like that you were able to do a lot with limited camera angles and editing. It could probably be trimmed down a little bit for my tastes, but it certainly kept my interest through the whole clip.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

good stuff you guys! :thumbsup:

Dogbertday likes this.
  6. Thank you.

It turned out a little longer than I wanted, also, but I ended up prioritizing getting two parts from each song over brevity. Did I make the right call? Who knows?

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    OK, first things first. The goal of a video is to be seen. You want people to watch more than 10 seconds for it to be effective. Jist a head shot of the singer with music playing in the background does NOT accomplish this. The ONLY reason I watched past that point was as a favor to you since you asked us for input. But I was bored out of my mind almost instantly. Get to band live-action video immediately.

Next, be SUPER critical of the footage you use. The second live action shot (a Bobby Brown song I think?) clearly showed about 5 people hanging out in front if the band and the rest if the room empty. And the harmonies were less than amazing.

As stated earlier, you guys need a "look". Right now you don't have one.

8. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Yeah, these^

I really like the band's name, and the music is pretty rocking. I see you did have some band video toward the end. Use more of that kind of imaging, but be sure it is high energy. The two people in the front (singer and guitarist?) hardly moved much. Jump around, have fun, project energy!

aekisz likes this.
  9. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    As a talent buyer (disclaimer) I probably wouldn’t, buy, based on this video. As a video producer (another disclaimer) I would have used a fade-from-black at least or better yet, a dissolve from a logo on the front end. As for the video itself, while I certainly appreciate your efforts, I would have “lost” that first pan and scan bit in favor of the, um, “pitchy” second shot. But then again...back to pan and scan. (And how do those two guys in the back feel about the framing?)
    I’d have to say that this was a fair first effort and I’ll bet you’ve learned a lot. Can’t wait to see your next effort. Hang in there, I’m sure you’ll amaze us with the next one.

Oddly, HolmeBass and two fingers like this.
  10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Also, if you're using still pictures, use flattering stills.

pcake, JohnnyChatter and two fingers like this.
  11. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    This really doesn't do justice to your band. The video looking between a few peoples' heads was tedious. I couldn't wait for something different to happen. There should be lots of angles and fairly quick editing. Figure peoples' attention span with something like this to be really short. Any still sequences should also be quickly changing, just a few seconds for each. It's hard to do, but you need LOTS of pictures and LOTS of video to make this look professional.

filmtex and HolmeBass like this.
  12. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I don't mind stills but do use photos that have you looking good.
    To me, the face shot in the beginning is borderline scary - makes her look like she has a face for the radio.
    Maybe coordinate band outfits.
    I'd ask the guitarist to look up at least once in a while.
    The sound is sketchy at best.
    Maybe use a studio recording or one taken from the desk, and mixed properly to avoid inconsistencies?
    I'd only use live snippets where the singing and playing both really are 'on' - take your best performances only and be self critical.
    If there is so little audience, I'd only have the band showing. If you still want to show audience , limit this to those people that show some enthusiasm.

My 2...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  13. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    What I liked:

The variety on your set list

What I didn't like:

The vocals seemed to be completely buried in the mix on the very first song. It got better at the live gig footage.
    A bit on the long side for a promo video.

What I think you should try:
    Start out with a high energy song, put slower song(s) in the middle, and on a high energy song (like a live show).
    Focus more on the hooks of the songs so you can shoot for about 2 minutes total length.

I don't know how to do videos, so that was better than I could do myself.

I would go see your band based off of this, but I think a promoter would want shorter and straight to the point (the sing-a-long parts of the songs) as they have to sift through many many videos like this. Still, good job.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Short but to the point is desired. A 60 second video should suffice. Blend in mostly live and towards the end a group shot photo. Add in subtitles or a quick voice-over.

HardNHeavy and cnltb like this.
  15. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    In the first pic the singer looks like Ozzy.

The three constantly bobbling heads are annoying. Plus, you don’t want to show the world that fewer than 5 people came to see your band.

TheReceder likes this.
  16. Pork_Chop

Pork_Chop

May 11, 2012
    Boulder, CO USA
    I think it's great. However.......I think it is way too long. I would shorten it to about 30 seconds. And was there band contact info easily seen? I didn't see any.

17. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    3:42 is too long. No more than 2:30 is my rule of thumb, and 2:00 is better. It lingers too long on the still photos--those should fly by relatively quickly, like a couple of seconds for each one. We really don't need a :35 pan of your lead singer's face. The audio bed on the still shots sounds very thin--there's no deep end! You cover four songs--is that enough to illustrate your repertoire? I'd aim for shorter samples of more songs.

18. 2000TA46032

2000TA46032

Aug 1, 2018
    I suggest putting your music type in the headline like Glass of Hearts. Just by reading the title I know his band is a Blondie tribute. Get some different footage of you playing. Maybe something at a more upscale place with a bigger crowd? I'm comparing to Glass of Hearts. They are well dressed and have larger crowds at nice looking venues. Good luck! I liked your song choices.

19. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Gotta agree that the intro picture needs to be shorter. Under 2:00 minutes for the whole thing is ideal to me.

A promo from a local band that consistently puts out good promos.

What I consider an effective mix of stills

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Oddly, cableguy, pjbassist and 4 others like this.
  20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Geez! This band is good!

pjbassist likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021