Promoting Religious Concerts

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by grovest, May 22, 2004.

1. Yes, mention somewhere that the show is somehow religious

16 vote(s)
  2. No, there's no need to mention the show will have religious themes

2 vote(s)
  1. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    If one is promoting a concert that will feature music with religious themes, do you think the religious nature of the show should be indicated on the fliers or by the promoters?
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Only if its overt - ie you probably wouldnt promote a show by say, Live or Creed as being religious. But presumeably you may wish to do so if there is overt preaching to avoid any problems.
  3. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Good point Mark. To clarify, I am asking about proselytizing.
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    (after having looked up the definition of proselytizing) - I would say most definetely yes. You will avoid offending anybody if you are up front.
  5. Not to mention the fact that people who are religious may be more inclined to attend if they think it is "wholesome" music. Being someone from the other end of the spectrum, I would be more than cut if I wasn't informed. State what it is all about and you're more likely to attract the type of people that you want at the show.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You don't hide a candle under a bushel, dude.
  7. Ducksual

May 19, 2003
    Yes definately inform people. I personally dislike events which appear to be transparent and end up having religion almost forcefully shoved down my throat.

Sure you may want people to come who aren't religious to show them your views but lying by not telling them about the religious theme often irritates people who were not there for the religious part. It could also offend people of other religions.
  8. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Nope - that's a sure way to start a fire, unless it's a flame-proof bushel. :ninja:

More seriously, if the event is going to include things like 'prayer', 'testimony' and 'ministry', it would definitely be worth making it clear (likewise if there are any restrictions, such as 'no smoking' or 'no drinking'). Otherwise, it's a more open call. If the music stands up on it's own (neither needing a religious framework to support it, nor pushing a religious agenda beyond the artists expressing their own thoughts and feelings) there's not such a clear cut answer.

The bottom line is stay away from subterfuge and all should be well :D

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I doubt that I could get more pissed off than if someone lured me to a god-squad concert surreptitiously.
  10. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    I concur.

And!- No, I won't. nvm.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    myself a christian, YES.

and IMHO, its pretty lame when i see christian concerts being promoted without such. like its been mentioned, why hide it?

i'd hope people would have more integrity than that. :meh: