1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Promoting Your Band (A Nice Touch)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, May 3, 2010.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    This is not anything new but I thout it was pretty cool.

We played a show Saturday Night and it was nice, decent crowd, good opening act and the sound and lights were decent too.

During one of our songs when our guitarist went into his solo and our young femalae lead singer jumps off the stage and hands out our cd to a bunch of the patrons.

I never saw her do that before.It went over pretty well, seemed like the crowd was into it.

blue

2. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    We tend to throw a bunch of cds if the crowd "are into it" at the middle of our show.

I guess that if the one that throws the cds is a female, it works even better!

3. rocknrollbandit

rocknrollbandit

Jan 15, 2009
    we have a breakdown part during one of our songs that our singer usually goes into the crowd and gives out cd's while the song builds and then rocks out with the audience when it kicks back in

4. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    We currently haven't got other merchandise stuff like T-shirts or underwear, but I've seen some bands that give some of those to the audience in exchange for something. Ex:

"Come onto the stage and dance to get a free shirt!"

"If you let us shave your head, you get a free shirt!" (yeah, I've seen that)

5. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Never give the audience something to throw.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    So I should not hand out bananas that say Ugly Ape on them?

7. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    LOL. MSI

8. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I remember when bands use to actually sell cds at shows.:confused:

9. I don't think we would ever pass out CDs during a set- but if it works for you, groovy.

10. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    In one covers band, we had a dancing competition and the winners got free t-shirts. We'd play the same song ("What I like about you") in different styles and get everyone to dance in that style - country, surf, waltz, then "death metal".

When we ran out of shirts, we started getting sill. The prizes became bar coasters (worthless), our set list (ditto) etc. Somehow the competition still works! But I think the tshirts were a nicer touch.

11. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    We'd hand out a couple different 3-song demo CDs (we had four tracks, and each CD contained a different assortment of those three). We wouldn't hand out actual CDs, though.

12. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    We pass out cd's during our shows, also we have a contest for whoever gets the drunkest we give out a shirt or two... also we give out our personalized picks... our fans love it!!!!

13. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Given the actual cost of producing CD's nowadays...
    I recently heard a national artist (sad to say that I can't remember who) do a show, and he announced something like the following:

The reason I do this is because I love to share music with you. I've got my CD's at the table in the back, they cost $X. If you like my music, I'd really like you to take one home to enjoy later. If the cost is an issue, pay whatever you can - the main thing is to enjoy the music."

He sold a lot of CD's that night, and I'd speculate that a lot of them were at full price.

14. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I'd recommend at the end of your set that your lead singer walk immediately off the front of the stage with a box of CD's and your email list and sell, sell, sell. The rest of the band can take care of loading out any of their equipment, etc. as the moment the show is over is the best time to approach the audience. Even a 10 minute delay to load-off stage can lose you a lot of sales.

15. Good advice. I bet it works.

16. Sounds like a lot of fun!

17. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    I put that tip on my list too.