1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Promotional potential - patch.com

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by drpepper, Oct 1, 2010.

1. My band was just "reviewed" for patch.com. Anybody have experience with this?

http://greaterannapolis.patch.com/articles/tension-will-rock-you

Only time will tell, but it looks like this could have potential in selling the band. I think it could work in print or by link - not necessarily to bring in incidental readers (which would be nice - but not realistic), but to show to venue owners and mgmt.

I hadn't heard of it until now, but it's a community news site that covers several states.

If you go the the main page, you can see if your state is covered. Drill down and see what they have for your area. Look up the Arts and Entertainment editor, see if they're doing band reviews, if they're not, suggest it.

2. So, nobody's had any experience with this or it's just a beat subject?

I really thought it might be of interest. Maybe it was just the novelty...to me.

Anyway, there's coverage in the following states. I think worth taking a look into as an additional promotional tool.

California
    Connecticut
    District of Columbia
    Florida
    Georgia
    Illinois
    Maryland
    Massachusetts
    Michigan
    Missouri
    New Jersey
    New York
    Pennsylvania
    Rhode Island
    Virginia
    Washington

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

never heard of it

4. Hmm...I guess when you look at the list from the perspective of what states aren't covered, that makes sense :meh:

5. I posted an upcoming gig on this site. It looks like a dressed up craigslist merged with a public Facebook event invite. Pretty cool, IMO, because I love craigslist and detest facebook. Thanks for posting this.

BTW, my event is at http://patch.com/E-HLp

Not that most of you are going to make it to the gig, but you can click and see what it looks like.

6. Thanks...interesting take on it. I view it kind of like a local newspaper (e-style). I don't expect that more than a few people are going to be reading it without being sent a link or invite though.

There's obviously a wide variety of situations. We're a bar band (weekend warriors). You're operating at a different level (very nice tunes and website btw). Your band has a press page on your website and numerous pieces written about you. You don't need another at the level of a patch article.

The value I saw is that, for a situation like ours, where we don't have any "Press," this provides an opportunity to have something to show that involves what someone else says about the band. I think the article would actual inform a potential venue pretty well.

I assume the writers are people who are just stretching their journalist legs, staying sharp or doing it out of some sense of community. Whatever it is, I think it can work out well.

(Also - Detesting facebook is pretty strong. What's that about? It has great potential for staying connected with your audience.)