Pronuciation of Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 5s_tring freak, Aug 12, 2001.

1. I would like to know the proper way to say Warwick. I know it is a silly question, but I feel more silly saying it the wrong way.

I have heard people say it like War-Wick.
    I have also heard people say waRRick.

What are you guys views on thw matter:confused:
  2. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Okay, Warwick is a german manufacturer, and I´m german, so. Many people say

War - Wick (War like the english war)
    Some others say

War - Wick (Like W then the english letter R)

I can´t explain the second one better, but I think you´ll be able to understand :eek: .

3. Wow David-Adler, I never knew you were German! Great english! I used to live in Zweibrucken when I was about 3 or 4, I think it's near Switzerland, ever heard of it?
  4. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Thanks, Paste.

I don´t know, why my english is so good *g*. What would you say when I would tell you that I´m 17 ?

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Then again, in German, the "W" sounds like a "V", so it could be "Varvick" (pronounced vahr-vic)

I pronoune it like Dionne Warwick pronounces her last name...
  6. I'm orginally from England, and prounounce the word "Warwick" as "Worrick" - but I've noticed that many people here in the USA pronounce it as "War-wick". People over here pronounce the word "Norwich" as "Nor-which", whereas in England the middle of the word is silent as in "Norritch", similarly "Harwich" (Harritch). Hey, England and the USA - two countries separated by a common language... :>

Now, how about "Launceston" any takers?

- Wil

PS: Interesting comment re. German pronunciation - wasn't Warwick's founder the son of the chap who founded Framus?
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got a friend who can't seem to come to grips with either option. He says "Rawwick" for some reason. Also calls Larivee "Lavoray". Maybe he's lisdexic...

All the dealers around here (southeast USA) say "WAR wik", of course one of them says "olympic" instead of alembic, but I don't count him.
    Now the one that perplexes me is '"'Wenge". I have heard more variations on this wood than any other term so far. I've been saying 'wahn-gay' because a Warrick dealer told me to.
    Guess we should just stick to fender...

I'm not sure what the Warwick/Framus connection is, but I've always assumed one...
  8. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    If you are presently at war with your Warwick, like Joe Nerve, its Warwick as in WWII. If you love your Warwick, you say it with more of a wah sound, like a baby would make.
  9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Yep, it is like Vahr-vic,
    altought I pronounce it more like:

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Yes. The founder of Warwick is the son of the founder of Framus guitars. I think they chose the name Warwick simply because it's a good brand name, being easy to remember and to spell. I mean, It rolls off the tongue much easier than Marleaux or Glockenklang (well, for non-german speakers, anyway).
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ok, another German...:D

I think it's pronounced Worrick, like Wil Davis said - whithout the second w. No German accent either. Our English classes at school are quite good nowadays. ;)
  12. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    As I have dealed with Warwick at the Germany Headquarters (Norman Benezra), I can assure it is Vahr-Vick, but more like Bahr-Bick.
  13. air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Warwick site says Wenge should be pro-noun-ced Ween-Ghay or Wen-Gee (my favourable form).

btw, Norman Benezra replyed to a few of my e-mails to Warwick, is he German? Benezra is a Jewish surname I've heard here in Israel a few times.
  14. Or indeed Worcestershire, Oldham, Leicestershire, Rondda, Llandudno...we only do it to confuse our American friends! ;o)
  15. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I really dont know, I only assumed he is German, after all he takes care of all the Export Department at Warwick HQ´s, and normally German companies hire German people.
  16. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    JMX, it´s definitily not Worrick.
    The guys at the Musicstore, Cologne say Warwick - as the guys at art of sound do, too (which store do you like better ?).
    -german on-
    ich kenn einen, der beim musicstore bässe verkauft...hehehe
    -german off-

Its Warwick.

Simply say an english War and then wick. Not Varvick, both of them are smooth W´s.

Many germans say Warwick (War light W(r)), because of their accent.

I just remember that I phoned the company once because I was considering buying a Streamer LX, and he sayed, Warwick (like the first I mentioned).
    But I sticked with an Esh (which is pronouced like (Swamp) Ash).

17. RED J

RED J Play what you want how you want & quit arggerin ! Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2000

It's only Warrick if your'e from Rho-Dyland :)^)

18. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Everyone's Dutchy around here so "visitor" is "weeziter", and I guess "Warwick" is "Vorvik". Then again, the call WaMart "ValMartz" and house is haas, mirror is maer, and toilet is hopper. Go figgur.

Hey Choe, Pleeze poss the chelley.