Proof at last!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    "As far as basses go, five strings are still the dominant species followed by sixes, then fours."

~ Long Ly, President, L.A. Bass Exchange.

Amen, brother, amen.
  2. I would imagine that, for the vast majority of bass builders whose instruments have a starting price of $1000 and up, the ratio of five-strings to four-strings sold is something like 3:1.

The five-string is a fact of life, and no "real musicians don't need a low B" wanker is going to be able to counter that. (Those guys tend to be really boring players anyway.)
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  4. It's hard to argue w/that kind of irrefutable proof!!
  5. Jaco only needed 4 strings.

:D ;)

- Dave
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the whole "followed by sixes" is kinda weird though.

i would think it'd be 5, 4, then 6+

i guess this IS at a high end store though. i'm sure that if you factored in every bass sold in the US last year, it'd be 4, 5, 6, etc
  7. The majority of basses sold in the US cost less than $500 or are overpriced Fenders.
  8. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002 room...
    well if jaco only needed 4...
    ... You aren't a real musician unless you have a Low F... then you are HARDCORE! and SCARY with a K.....
    JUST THINK.. He can go lower than any sound reproduced by KoRn...
    lol :D

not suprised that 5 strings are domminant
    Im not big on them but i think its pretty cool..
    I like extended range instruments
    the 4 doesn't really bore me i love my 4 string but i want extended range stuff too.. .such as the 8 string ill buy one day... a 7 string.. maybe a 6.. depends on string spacing.. i would buy a 5 string fretless though =D
  9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think the low B has nothing to do with it.

I think its more an issue of range. I think we just go for a low B rather than a high C because we're bassist and prefer to stay away from our guitarist puny high frequencies.

I have a feeling that if more of the 5 string basses being put out in the beginning were strung with a high C that we would probably accept that as the norm.

That being said, I got my first 5 string because of several bass lines I wrote that I wouldve rather played in a lower register.

I still plan on stringing my next 5 with a high C though.

Why not get a 6? Because I play rock, and find most 6'ers too uncomfortable for the playing style. 5 feels perfect.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Can't argue with scientific proof like that:rolleyes:

11. I'm guessing that somewhat puts me with minority! Yes, once more! nevermind
  12. MISQUOTE!!! - Should read:

As far as bassists go, five fingers still dominate the species, followed by 666, then those on all fours;)
  13. To each their own. I'm not upset at you for playing a 5-string (or 6 or whatever). I own a 4 and 5, but I play the 4 most often.:) Most high end basses do seem to be 5+ string. I guess people think it's a waste of money to spend all that on a 4.:confused:
  14. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Why does the number of strings matter??

If it sounds good......then it sounds good. I have 4, 5, and 6 string basses.........i like to experiment, and i like basses :D

If i wanted to express myself with just the one string, then i would..................expressing myself with just a there's a scary though :p

15. they're not overpriced if people buy them.
  16. They're overpriced if half of the cost of each instrument goes into marketing.
  17. i'd like to see figures that back up that assertion, but it's beside the point anyway. people (a "majority" of people, as you pointed out) obviously think they are worth the money. so they buy. there are plenty of alternatives to fender, so if fender was overpriced, people wouldn't buy them. it's that simple.
  18. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    More 5's sold than 4s? No way.

re:Overpriced is a very relative opinion. If a you are happy with the quality and okay with the price you paid, it is not overpriced.
  19. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Really? I'm not sure I'd totally agree. A trip 'round Chicagoland stores will show the majority of basses are 4-string, followed by 5. Very few even carry 6 string basses.

Chicago's a big Blues town, so you see a ton of Fenders, most of which are 4-string.

So, there's your scientific proof:p
  20. Actually, I can believe that coming from the L.A. Bass Exchange. They sell high-end basses, and most people want 5+ strings when they buy high-enders (but not me).