1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Proof Positive Tonewood makes a HUGE Difference!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Chewy_B_i_T_s, Oct 16, 2020 at 9:53 PM.

1. I replaced the cortiça virgem ball in my samba whistle with 200 year old reclaimed cortiça amadia. I noticed an immediate change in the timber and responsiveness in the upper-mid-high-piccolo frequencies. I've achieved the tone I've always heard in my head! I used to have to adjust my embouchure to make up for the lack of resonance but now it just SINGS! Ever since I've made the change, other whistleblowers have been approaching me after the show and complimenting me on my tone. That never used to happen!

2. Nice to know that you spend so much time, working on getting the imaginary tone that you hear in your head. Gotta watch those ‘whistleblowers’, though. You never know what side they are really on.

3. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    STAHP....

BassCliff likes this.
  4. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"...

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Tone is all in the breath.

5. I'll concede that's partly true. I've heard Ed Friedland can make any cheap whistle sound amazing #thewhistlewhisperer, but you'll never be able to convince me that my boutique hand hammered Brazilian brass whistle isn't worth every penny I spent on it. (Munjibunga would agree with me) Please just don't ask me how much that was. I'm a little embarrassed.

6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    Did you get it with or without the custom tort mouth tip?

7. bassistkll

bassistkll

Sep 23, 2007
    Ventura, CA
    Weight?

8. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Jaco could make any samba whistle sing

Chewy_B_i_T_s likes this.
  9. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Start mass producing emmidiately !

10. It originally came with one but I swapped out of with abalone. I'm pretty sure it helped with projection and allowed me to cut through the shakers better.

Pulverizor, Beej and red_rhino like this.
  11. 1.4 ounces, but it balances so well it feels lighter than my sub ounce whistles.

12. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    Napoleon-Dynamite-Cant-Belive-This-Joker-Teaching-A-Self-Defense-Class_408x408.jpg

Chewy_B_i_T_s and David Jayne like this.
  13. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    tenor (1).gif

14. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Fox 40 aren't wood but I think they have a great tone. I don't think you can change the ball. But I have been happy with mine for years.

Pulverizor likes this.
  15. Ah yes, I saw my misspelling after it was too late to edit. I was hoping people would mistake it for wit considering the topic. C'est la vie

16. How dare you suggest something so unorthodox!! I once had a bass with an ebanol fingerboard. Every time I sniffed it I could tell it wasn't ebony. For some reason I couldn't stop sniffing it. My wife made me get rid of it.

hawk400, Helix and ficelles like this.
  17. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    There really should be an "lol" option on the Like button. Ebanol frenzy...

red_rhino and Chewy_B_i_T_s like this.
  18. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I don't know about Your opinion for ebonol, but my luthier told me that it was made to replace ebony, for finding it problems and price. And that the difference is small.

19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I have never sniffed my whistle but I bet it's stinky. I do rather like the smell of my fretless that had been treated with linseed oil. I know linseed is out of fashion but the bass still smells good after all these years.

Fox 40's dual ports direct the sound to the audience. It's basically the Greenboy cab of whistles. And you can blow as loud as you want without hurting your own ears.

10070689?$pdp-gallery-ng$.jpg

20. Without any text, I'm not sure how to take the Napoleon Dynamite reference. Half the world thought the movie was inane and stupid. The other half considered it comical genius....... I LIKE MY ODDS!! :thumbsup:

Thegrandwazoo likes this.