Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Proof that bassists get NO respect

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Machaut, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Its there in black and white today in my local fishwrapper - the story of Phil Spector. And a few paragraphs down the story mentions the wrecking crew; Hal Blaine, Leon Russell, hell it even mentions Sono Bono.

But there is no mention of a bass player in the wrecking crew. Why am I not surprized?

2. :mad:

Although , I'd rather be respected , like Jaco etc , tha be 'famous' like Steve Vai , the bollock burger.

3. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    When has Steve Vai become famous?

4. You'll notice that famous was in inverted commas . I'd say a lot more people know of him than they do Jaco , at least in my experience .

5. Did you just say bollock burger?

Oh, and I'm always glad that we don't get respect from a lot of people. My ego doesn't need any more inflating :p. If it did, I would play guitar. Or kazoo (you'd be surprised ;)).

6. Yes . We English love our bollocks

7. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Same here.

Without the huge ego...heh. ;) (right....)

I do a bass-kazoo duet bit, gets people rolling. Just a comic relief thing until I pull out Thunderstruck-AC/DC. :D

8. Well.....

Personally, I wouldn't want my name in the same article as a suspected murderer.

But I do see your point.

9. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    SO! I finally find a SoCal bassist my same age that has an ego as big as mine! hehe,, actually I hope I dont have much of an ego, so; you are a great bassplayer, I aspire to know 1/10 as much as you do by the end of my lifetime! I will never know true bassplaying nirvana until you have taught me the steps to true enlightenment.

On a side note,, we ought to check each others projects out eh?

10. I LOVE THAT SONG!!! by XTC. on rhinoplasty they cover "scissor man" by xtc also. xtc rules! (the band, guys; the band!)

11. non-musician kids in my school think i'm a god when they hear me play and i slap, like, three notes. that kind of "respect" sucks. i hate non-musicians.
    the only respect i really need is from fellow bassists. because they know what they're talking about when they say "hey, you're pretty good, man. how long ya been playin?"
    just that once or twice a year's all the respect i need.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you talking to me? :D
    PM me for details on my project...I just changed the dates...its in April now.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    A lot of people think I'm this fantastic musician, which I am far from it I assure you. This once again comes back to the "who can slap the fastest" mentality. So now that I am experiementing with noise, I write music that people don't like... so they agree with me now on the fact that I suck. :) But in my spare time, I occasionally mess around with that "good sounding" stuff.