1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Proof" that Bernard Edwards used flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Beef of the Sea, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Yes

92.3%
  2. No

7.7%
  1. I know this has been one of the biggest debates of all time as far as the bass guitar world is concerned, but after checking this guy out, there should be no more doubt in anyone's mind.

bluesdogblues and elBandito like this.
  2. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Great tone and playing! I'm a believer!

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    Nice Tone, who de-fretted your bass? I dig it.

4. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    I wasn't familiar with a raging debate regarding Bernard's choice of string windings... but he is one of my absolute favorite players. Hoping to put flats on my next PJ.

Everybody Dance!

D. Gallis likes this.
  5. Well, it's not a 1977 receipt for Labella Deep Talkers from Manny's on W. 48th in NYC...but well played with a rich tone, nevertheless.

6. Didn't even realize this was a thing. . .sounded like flats to me the first time I heard a Chic song lol

bluesdogblues likes this.
  7. Ritchie_Darling

Ritchie_Darling Bass @ AZ Supporting Member

May 22, 2006
    Arizona
    Impulse buyer...
    I wasn't aware of a long term discussion regarding Bernard. I seem to recall reading somewhere that he simply never changed a string unless it broke.

And that the strings used on "Good Times" and "Le Freak" were just old and dead from overuse.

Of course, I could very well be completely wrong. It certainly would not be the first time.

Nice vid and great tone, by the way! :)