Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

proof that God exists and that he loves me.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wilser, May 12, 2005.

1. While routing the truss rod channel, on what I hope to be a standard model if I ever become full time, I heard an unusual loud bit while routing the 3rd pass (about 3/32" each pass). When suddenly *SNAP!*. Now, I was wearing face protection (eyes, ears, dust mask) but I was wearing underwear and slippers!!!! (now don't tell me I'm the only one who woodworks in his underwear). The bit broke but did not touch me. I could be trying to pull the bit off of my skin right now!

This is also proof that cheap is dangerous! this is a woodcraft brand 1/4" straight bit.

[​IMG]

2. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Woodcraft cutters are worthless!

3. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Oh crap! Here I thought I was getting some bits at a good value. I assume you'd recommend replacing them with better ones to avoid the same thing happening?
    Maybe I should wear a cup when using these bits :bag: .

Jon

4. davepack

davepack Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Same thing happened to be with a woodcraft bit...except I was wearing my PJs.
    Maybe woodcraft bits are only designed to work properly if you are fully dressed? ;)

5. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Can someone give an idea as to brands to stick with as far as bits go?

6. Freud make good bits.

7. my fave brands (in order of preference):

cmt
    freud
    amana

8. Cliff Bordwell

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES

Just take it easy,
    The more noise means there is more vibration.
    Which tells you that your cutter is bouncing/flexing.
    Badly designed cutters i.e. shear angle and relief angle
    bounce more then cut. Just take smaller steps so there
    will be less pressure on the cutter.

I get my cutters from a local tool grinder that knows
    what he is doing.

9. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Please don't tell me that StewMac bits are crap...please.

10. Cliff Bordwell

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    The Stew Mac bits are nice and a good deal considering you get 2 of the 3/8 bearings.

11. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Thanks Cliff. How's this run of basses going?

12. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I visit CBbasses.com nearly every day, hoping he's uploaded some new pics in his *the news* section..... :)
    I am SO jealous he's building a bass for Chris Wood. Congrats! Interesting wood choices you two came up with Cliff.

13. Cliff Bordwell

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Thanks guys!
    Everything is flowing smoothly. :bassist:

14. You guys are not gonna believe this, I just broke another bit about an hour ago!!!!
    yes, you guessed it, cheap MLCS bit. This one was a 1/8" solid carbide upcut spiral. This time I was routing the graphite stick channels after I went out and bought a 'good' 1/4" to replace the broken one. ..I guess it's out to buy router bits again.

15. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    What did you make your neck blank out of? Granite? Marble? Stainless? :eek: :confused:

16. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    don't try and bite off too much at a time.

17. no man, it's birds eye maple. and was taking < 1/16" at a time with the 1/8" bit!!! it's the bits man, seriously!

My CMT 1/8" bit (I lost it when I moved) was able to take 1/8" at a time off of Ipe without a problem!!! Also, both were solid carbide! the only difference (apart from obvious quality) was that the MLCS was spiral.

18. M_A_T_T

M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    Canada
    I do alot of work in my pj's. :)

I had the carbide cutters on a 1/2" bit shatter when routing a PU cavity in Ash. Something hit me in the stomach when it happened, didn't really hurt, but instead of the cutters it could have been part of the brass template guide fastened to the base of the router because the shattering bit exploded out the side of the brass guide destroying it. I was astonished when it happened. :eek:

19. Brother, its time you got your self a nice little router table with a rip fence

I do feel your pain......I was 15 at the time.....the bit was actualy a whiteside spiral.....just missed the bulleye.....nice scar

20. Now is a good time to replace your collet. This could be a major contributor to your bit failures. You can't see if it's out of round or if it's got some sort of burr that is keeping it from working properly. Just the vibration of a bit that isn't seated and tightened in well enough can damage a collet to the point that it isn't suitable for 20000 rpm cutting. We replace ours in the CNC table all the time when we get these untraceable problems with bits. And we use 1/4" spirals that run between $18 - $29 each - we run through several each day depending on what we are cutting.