Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Proof that high end basses do cover band gigs...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Proof that high end basses do cover gigs...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yep, slappin' a fretless... :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and proof that I'm just friggin' nuts... :D

[​IMG]

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice shorts :p I wore shorts for the first time this season yesterday.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Great pics Vic! I'll definitely have to check you guys out should I ever get that far west.

Question #1. Can she sing?
    Question #2. Does anyone care if she can sing?!

(Just kiddin man...if she's playin with a player like you, Im SURE she can sing!)

4. Wow Cheez! Lets not get too personal here!

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    She has nice tonsils.

6. I wear shorts like that all the time, nice style :p

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Nothing personal Lady. I consider Vic a bud, and he has a hot singer. Am I not allowed to comment?

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    VIC....did you buy that Zon from LDS? If so, Pat and I both played it and agreed it was one, if not THE best bass in the shop. That thing was killer!

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Cool pics! The width of the neck on your MTD fiver looks HUGE in those behind-the-back pictures. Is it, or is it just the angle, or are you a smaller guy?

10. That Zon's a beauty! Thanks for the "show".:D

11. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Nice live pics Vic.
    The MTD looks even better live.

You definitely look a bit nuts, not as much as me but ........
    keep trying.:D

12. Looks like you guys are having fun...

Actually... my view is that high end basses are usually seen in cover bands... the 'original band' guys don't make enough money to buy them:D

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Dude, it was like a million degrees that day... I wish I coulda' done it in a swim suit, but I didn't want to lose the crowd... :)

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    1.) YES! 2.) Sadly, not much. :)

And now for the bonus answer to the question you didn't ask... is the band still together... 3.) Nope.

PWF was together for about 13 years, and did extremely well. We were always huge at the state fair, and always got one of the top two slots (some of the pics were from one of those). I was in it for about the last 3. It's Troy's band (the bald guitar player, very cool guy and a great musician), and while the rest of us had come and gone, he'd gone the full 13, which apparently was long enough.

He was just finishing his home studio and wanted to go that direction, so we all had a last breakfast together as a band in November and parted on very friendly terms. We all enjoyed the holidays off, and have gone in separate directions since then. I'm about to join a new band now, which has tons of potential, and I'm excited to be a part of it. www.latearrivalband.com

15. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Nah, it's cool. If Robbie heard him say this, she'd give it right back while laughing her butt off. :) She's done the band thing for years, is actually married to Troy, and is very cool. She takes it and gives it back just like the rest of us. No issues, and the marriage was never a problem. Total pro.

16. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Nope. I got it from Adrian, who got it directly from Joe Zon as a custom order. Outside the Zon shop, I'm the second, and last, player. :)

However, you're right about it anyway. :D

The funny part is, I'd JUST got it that week before that gig, and I was so dying to play it I took it into the cover band (generally not a place for fretless). As ironic as it sounds, the best compliments I got all night were from fellow musicians who were surprised when I told them it was fretless. :)

17. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
  18. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    A little of everything. I'm only 5'9", but it is a generally wider neck going down towards the nut. However, it's somewhat accentuated by both my (lack of) height as well as the fact that it's one of the thinnest neck profiles (from front to back) of any bass I've played, including most other MTD's. It's deceivingly easy to play! Along those same lines, it's over 9 pounds, so it's a bit on the heavy side, but the way those basses fit you, you don't notice. My Marilyn has a noticeably thicker neck, tho it's still very comfy for me to play. Mike DEFINITELY knows what he is doing.

Man, and the clarity as they slice thru a club mix is awesome.

19. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Thanks... you should hear it, tho. :)

Dangitt... ok. ;)

20. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    ILL...INI

ILL...INI

ILL...INI

Love the poster in the background (and love the basses too)!!! :hyper: ;)