1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Proof that some people who work at music shops don't know what they're talkin about

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by spectorbass83, Feb 21, 2008.

1. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    This happened months ago, and I am finally getting around to posting it -

So I was at a local music shop that I've visited in the past. I've never had any complaints with the place - they usually have great prices and really nice equipment.

I was talking to one of their employees (coincidentally a bass player who gave lessons at the place) about bass amps and cabs. We got on the topic of impedance and discussed connecting an 8ohm cab with a 4 ohm cab to a head that goes down only to 4 ohms. It went something like this -

Me - "So this head has a nominal impedance of 4 ohms, will I be able to connect this 8ohm cab and this 4ohm cab to it at the same time?"

Employee - "Well if you connect an 8ohm cab with a 4ohm cab you'll be at around 6ohms so you will be fine"
    :eyebrow:

It was after going on talkbass that I learned he was horribly wrong. But what if it was somebody else and they ended up spending thousands of their hard earned dollars on this rig which the employee said would function without any problems, then they use it at a gig and it craps out on them??

Share your thoughts/experiences.

2. The employee at Allegro music doesn't know crap about anything.

But she sure is hot :cool:

3. perhaps she wears a lot of clothes :p (hope u remember what i am talking about lol)

4. no she doesn't, just a nice, tight little shirt...mmm :smug:

5. "just" a nice little shirt dress has something missing bigtime lol
    should stop now, so i shut up. thank me

6. Warfrat73

Warfrat73

Nov 18, 2007
    Milwaukee
    I guess I'm at the point now that I just assume the people trying to sell me stuff know less about... it is sad though. Seems to me that there was a time when mere competence was not exceptional. Most of the time though I feel like everybody trying to sell me something just treats me like an idiot.

7. I don't know how everyone else's situation is, but I have the privilege of being great friends with a mom-n-pop shop. He knows anything and everything about fretted instruments and amplification. Try and find that sort of shop you can become a patron to.

8. Caveat Emptor - Even though it would be nice if sales people were also experts, it's better to remember that they are there to make a commission, not make sure you get what you want. It's your job as a consumer to educate yourself and know what you want before you interact with a sales person. Expecting expert amp advice from someone whose sole goal is to separate you from the money in your wallet is a little foolish.

9. rpatter

rpatter Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2004
    Round Rock, TX
    I had a similar experience talking to a Warmoth employee a few years ago. I was trying to decide on what woods to use for my Gecko bass so I asked the so called technician on the phone about the characteristic of a couple of different woods. He replied (with an extremely arrogant tone of voice) "I dunno man, I always thought that tone came from the pickups and your hands". He was dead serious. If I had the presence of mind, I would have asked him to explain why they bothered having this page on their site:

http://www.warmoth.com/bass/options/options_bodywoods.cfm

Ralf

10. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    There is a local shop in my are that has been around since the 60's one owner. The owner was a long time bluegrass player a dang good one too. I had him set up an acoustic i bought from him a few years ago and he stated all guitar and bass necks should be 100% straight at all times. I said there had to be some relief to allow for the sting vibration so there would be no buzz. He said no way ...straight as an arrow. The acoustic buzzed at the first fret when i got home and i added a touch of relief and all was good. This dude has been selling and servicing guitars since i was born :rolleyes:

11. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    I disagree. If anybody is foolish here its the incompetent sales person, not the customer. Wouldn't you think it would be easier for someone to make a purchase if the salesperson "sold" me on the product? The way to do that is to talk about the features and capabilities. I don't expect them to be experts; the whole 8ohm/4ohm thing is pretty basic stuff any person selling musical gear should know about. Can you see my point now?