1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Proof that Tone is in the Fingers!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jan 9, 2012.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Over a year ago I had to sell some critical parts of my rig (a souped up Bass 400 and cabs). I replaced the 400 and dialed in the same settings on all my gear. When I more recently started recording hip hop stuff with my friend, I basically kept the same settings that used in my prog metal days with the bass dialed in differently and my Sansamp in front instead of in the FX loop. I played all lightly and everything came out good.

I wanted to noodle around and record some proggy metal stuff today and was feeling desperate trying to capture my tone from previous years/albums.

Then I realized what was wrong... I used to play hard as ****. Tone back! All in the fingers, at least 50%. Playing rap-hop got me all smoothed out and I didnt realize it.

Thundar - Adam Jones / Frusciante on Crack Solo by dr_thunda on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

(bass at beginning is cool, warning: my guitar playing is horrendous... I'm trying to learn how to play/write with guitar while learning how to engineer/record all at the same time).

2. Kind of makes me think of the old Children of the Anachronistic Dynasty demo.