1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

proper 3 finger plucking technique.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by HUNTRESS, Nov 9, 2006.

1. HUNTRESS

HUNTRESS

Oct 20, 2006
    hello. i'm new to talkbass. a quick thanks to everyone who posts on here, as i've browsed and gotten tons of useful info for quite a while now.
    so, my question...i've recently begun to work on using 3 fingers to pluck the strings(why? i'm not sure yet!)
    was wondering if anyone knew if the technique worked by alternating fingers index(i) middle(m) ring(r)back to i, m, r....or, as i've been told i,m,r,m,i,m,r...in otherwords, after plucking i, m, r, do i walk back down using the middle finger?
    i'm sure the answer will ultimately be "whatever works"; but, i was wondering if anyone had any input?
    thanks.

2. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    Sincerely, 'whatever works' is right.

I used two fingers (index, middle) FOREVER. I noticed when I started playing and getting into music like Dream Theater, it seemed that the fast triplets and runs weren't able to be played well by two fingers, so I started using three. It felt insanely awkward and very unnatural, but now 3 fingers is a norm for me.

I ALWAYS go R/M/I/R/M/I. I hardly ever go I/M/R. I don't suggest doing I/M/R/M/I, because you're using the middle finger twice as much, and in reality it will slow you down. I read once about something on how the tendons in your fingers work together, and I remember it saying that index and middle can't go as fast as index and ring for 8th notes, and that R/M/I is faster than I/M/R..something about how the tendons close and move, but anyway.

3. HUNTRESS

HUNTRESS

Oct 20, 2006
    thanks. i'll give it a shot. pretty early in the 3 finger game for me, so all input helps!

4. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    hav fun, ive been playin with 3 fingers for awhile and the only difference i notice is that it doesnt wear me out as fast when playin fast lines

5. Enden

Enden

May 1, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    It's way too awkward feeling to me, and I haven't found much of a use for it, besides covering Toys Go Winding Down.