proper left hand techmique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jayscott, Jun 23, 2002.

1. I've been playing bass for about ten years,no formal
    lessons just playing along to cd's and jamming with different people.I've developed an elbow problem that really seems to be agravated by playing and practice.i've seen doctors off and on for the last six months and none of them seem to be able to offer any kind of explanation but none of them seem to think it is tendonitsis or carpal tunnel.i wonder if its my left hand technique any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated
  2. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    Well, first, it should NEVER hurt to play. If it does, STOP; something's wrong and you definitely wouldn't want to risk tendonitis or carpal tunnel.

Second..what is YOUR technique? How do you play that would lead you to believe that it's the cause of your pain? Do you have your hand/elbow at a strange angle?

Answers to these would probably aid in finding answers to your pain:)

Hope you get it figured out.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    additionally, how high do you wear your bass? THe elbow is between two levers (the upper arm and shoulders, and the lower arm and wrist.)

You might want to consider seeing a sports therapist as well, or a personal trainer who has a degree. Most of them have studied biomechanics.
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Only tip I can give is to bring your bass with you to therapy and let them see how you hold it. Maybe they can recommend somehting.

I have my basses pretty high, and I try to have my wrist pretty much up and down in the area where I do most of my playing. That may not be the thing to do for you.

Best bet, have the doc look at how you hold it.

"Doc, it hurts whenever I play bass..."
    "Alright, stop playing bass. That will be $500."
    "$500? I want a second opinion!!!"
    "O.K., you should stop singing too. That will be $1000."

Thank you, you've been a great crowd.