Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

proper neck relief on a Fender P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gene Machine, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Gene Machine

Gene Machine

Mar 19, 2003
    hi folks. i'm looking for some hard numbers, maybe someone here knows off the top of their head...

what is the proper relief measurement for a P bass? I have a 51RI, don't imagine that changes anything. i started getting a lot of buzz all of a sudden, checked relief and there was no gap at all at the 8th fret (after fretting 1st and 20th) so i loosened up a 1/4 turn and now i have about 3/32 (eyeballing it)

anyway i just did it about 30 min ago, i'm going to wait until the morning to do the final check/tweek.

any help appreciated, saves me surfing time i could be looking at dirty pictures.... (of basses of course)

thanks.
    g

2. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
    3/32 sounds like too much, but this is all subjective. here is a similar way to check. i own a mia p bass and a mia jazz. i setup both the same for MY playing tastes. here goes:

i fret the first fret with my left hand index finger, and the 15th fret with my right hand PINKY finger. then i use my right hand index finger to check the relief at the 9th. i look for a gap about the size of medium guitar pick. works for me.

3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    The setup guide that came with my J Bass specifes 0.015 inch relief when the E string is fretted behind the 1st fret and in front of the last fret. This is less that the thickness of a credit card. String height is speced at 5/32 at the 17th fret. It should be the same for your P Bass.

4. Gene Machine

Gene Machine

Mar 19, 2003
    thanx i tweaked a 1/8 turn the other way and waiting for it to settle..

g