Proper Notation

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassPlayerGush, Dec 30, 2001.

1. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    Can anyone help me, or give me advice on the best, quickest or easiest way to learn the proper electric bass notation? I know how to read simple tablature (duh, who cant?). I know tablature is much easier, but i have to learn the bass notation to be in a jazz band.
    Thanks ahead of time for any help. Any will be greatly appreciated!
  2. I have a bass book that teaches notation and how to read music and everything. I think it works good but you just have the patience and will to sit down and learn it. Something I lack. But the time I did read did help and if i just spent a little more time on it I would have learned it all. So try a bass book seem determined to learn it.
  3. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I have a good Mel Bay book titled "Note Reading Studies For Bass" by Arnold Evans. It teaches you rhythms, key signatures, and much more. Includes etudes to play and towards the end there are some pretty advanced exercises to play using what you have learned in the book.

My book that I use for my lessons, "Deluxe Jazz & Rock Bass Method" by Vincent Bredice is also good. I'm learning a lot from it.

Not saying these are the quickest or easiest way to learn notation, but they definately improve my music-reading skills....and my playing! :)
  4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Cool, I stumbled on this book by accident and I use it for my students too.