1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Proper placement of compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by svp, Feb 18, 2008.

1. svp

svp

Mar 12, 2007
    Atlanta
    I have a amp head with a built in compressor, but I happened on a great deal on a 2-channel rack mount unit. Obviously I can run it through my head's effect send and return, I am just wanting to know of any other way someone has done it? Thanks in advance for any input folks:bassist:

2. compressors come first in the signal chain, right?

3. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I use my compressor after all my other effects. Helps even out some of those wacky pedals.

4. My compressor works best before all of my wacky pedals.

5. Same for me. I run mine in my effects loop, just before my BBE Sonic Maximizer, which is always on. I do a lot of pedal stomping (mainly distortion) with my band, and the compressor at the end of the chain helps keep my signal consistant.

However, since you have a two-channel unit, you could very easily use it as an effects loop by itself. It would go something like this:

Bass-> compressor channel one-> pedal board -> compressor channel two -> Amplifier input

That would allow you to run a compressed signal into your board, which is beneficial for some effects, and compress it again at the end of the chain to keep the signal more consistant.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    IIRC, compressor before some pedals, but not before those that rely on dynamic changes (e.g., envelope filters/followers).
    Kinda like "i before e except after c" ... :D

7. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Except sometimes you don't want compressors after those filters either. At least in my case my compressor post envelope filter completely neuters the peak.

8. compressors are touchy things, it's not for everyone and they have to be handled with care.

9. yeah thats what he said

.... no he didn't.... um... nuthin

:meh:

10. I was blue in the face, trying to get my Ibanez compressor to work. And then I was like duh, put it at the beginning. It didn't do squat for me at the end except as a boost pedal.

11. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    That's because it's an Ibanez compressor :)

12. :smug:

rawr. It's what I can afford

13. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    After much trial and error, my comp wound up #1 in my chain, and I run 3 different filters along the way. I guess it really is totally personal taste.

15. Lo.

Lo.

Jan 29, 2005
    NW UK
    LOL - sorry, but IMHO the proper placement for a compressor is in its box, stored at the back of the cupboard in your house that you never open.

Limiters (a compressor with an "infinite" ratio) can be useful though, and I would set it so it just clips only the loudest notes you play (or just the initial attack part of each note), and put that in front of other FX.

16. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident

Mar 18, 2007
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    I like mine last

17. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    one first for squish effect, one last for smoothing.

18. I was thinking of doing this, but I thought it might be gratuitous. Then again, things are pretty smooth right now so I probably don't require it.

19. GlassJaw

GlassJaw

Jul 24, 2006
    Rhode Island
    I also put mine in the effects loop of my pre, after all the effects. I really only use it to even out balance between switching from fingerstyle to slap. Ideally, the compressor never kicks in when I play fingerstyle. I like to think that my playing is even enough to not need it. So far, it's worked for me.

20. 51m0n

51m0n

Jun 30, 2005
    just one more consideration.

Some dynamic envelope fx units have their own fx loop just so you can put leveling/dynamic altering fx (ie distortion/compression/overdrive) after the envelope following circuitry and before the filter.

For instnace the Meatball (and all proper clones thereof) and the Qtron+