1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Proper right hand technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Grizzly700, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Ok, I've been playing bass for a while now and I'm not getting the really clean sound alot of other people are. I have aFender Geddy Lee Jazz which is a very good bass and I don't think the problem is in it or my Ampeg BA115. When I play faster songs it sounds like my strings hit the pickups. When playing the galloping rhythm in Iron Maiden songs it can be inaudible. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. :help:

2. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Well, we can't say anything about your technique if we can't see it.
    What you're describing could be a mix of bad right hand technique and (maybe) your bass needs a set-up too.
    So my suggestion is to post a video of u playing here, so we can tell you more things of what might be wrong.

3. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I'll try to get a video up as soon as possible but the only thing I have to record with would be my crappy webcam and yo probably couldnt see anything anyways. I'll try though.

4. tswd

tswd

Jun 20, 2007
    A video would help. I had a problem before when playing slap bass where I would mute the strings too hard with my right palm, which would force the strings into the pickups. It's possible you could be doing something similar.

Are you sure the strings are hitting the pickups? Try pushing the strings into them and see if it's the same sound. Or is it clacky fret buzz? You could be playing harder when you try to go faster, which would cause the strings to hit the fretboard more.