Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

proper way to adjust string saddles?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by CJY, Dec 24, 2001.

1. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Hi,
    I was wondering what is the proper way to adjust string saddles.Do you adjust it parallel to the body or according to the fretboard curvature?

2. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    oopps,this should be under 'setup'.What was I thinking?

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I dunno...

Moved.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's interesting.... "with no regard for fretboard curvature". Do you adjust the height with no regard for the strings to fretboard distance? Just curious.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think he means he's not proportional with the Radius, he just adjusts it till he like it, asymetrical or not.

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Asymetrical is "not";)

Setting string height strictly by fretboard radius would make no sense* but neither would adjusting it without regard to it, literally. What htag just said makes sense, it's how I adjust my height, too.

Here's the nit picky part: Given two basses, one with a curved board, one with a flat one... if both bodies (and bridges) are flat, the heights will be different from one to the other, because the curvature "is" a factor.

*It would make sense if you used only one string size, otherwise big strings need more space to vibrate, small ones need less.

7. CJY

CJY

Apr 30, 2001
    Singapore
    Thanks for all your input,guys.

But is the string saddle supposed to follow the fretboard curvature so that the playability will be better(or more natural)?