1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

proper way to break in new speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xshawnxearthx, Mar 20, 2009.

1. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    my new/used cabs both have very little hours on them and i want to properly break them in so i don't kill them next weekend with my sonic assault.

what do i do?

2. Spend some time playing at low, then medium and then medium loud volumes until your gig. They should be fine.

3. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    are we talking an hour each, two hours each?

4. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I don't know that you can damage a driver from not breaking it in, but if the suspension is new, one method people use to break in the suspension is to run a 20 or 30Hz sine wave through the cab at a low to medium level for ~24hours.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Speakers don't need any kind of breaking in from the customer.

6. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    You won't damage them just because the are new. Subwoofers tend to gain a little extension as their suspension begins to loosen up, but very little will be gained in the bass guitar region. Just go have fun!

7. +1 There are two issues here.

Issue 1: Damage. Don't worry about it. Play the cab for an hour at moderate volumes just to make sure everything is OK. Zero issue. Going right from the box to full volume can be an issue with speakers with very high xmax (speakers that piston a lot to reproduce very low frequencies like the Acme's). But even with these, a short amount of time just to make sure the surrounds are loosened up a touch is fine. Really, zero issue.

Issue 2: Getting the maximum bass response from the cab. In some cases (I rarely hear it), speaker surrounds can continue to loosen for the first 20 or so hours of use, resulting in more deep low end response. IME, this is a very minor thing with most cabs, and one way or the other, the cab will be 80% 'broken in' after the first hard gig.

So.... I wouldn't worry about it. Play the cab for an hour at moderate volume before the gig if it makes you feel better. If the cab sounds a little fuller and deeper after 2 or 3 gigs... bonus:bassist:

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    excellent. i've never really broken in any of my cabs but i wanted to make sure i wouldn't mess anything up.

i think i'll bring the rig to practice the night before and just go nuts.

9. I do own Acmes and I had never even heard of breaking in speakers until a couple of years ago. I am of the opinion that you use the cabinets and the drivers will break in through use.

Paul

10. 10 volts at 30 Hz, 12 hours will do the trick.
    If the noise level is too high, drop to 20 Hz.

I break in my drivers on the bench, so there is no audible noise except what the pets hear.

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Eventually, yes, though the softening of the suspension can continue for years, even decades. Think of a driver like a new pair of shoes. It's a bit uncomfortable for the first day, gets pretty good after a week, and the longer you have them the better they work.

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Gig with it. Rehearse with it. Play it.

I've owned many new cabs and I've never broke in the speakers and I've never had andy issues with the cabs.

13. Bassgrinder77

Bassgrinder77 Banned

Jan 23, 2009
    Carefully remove the grill and deliver a kung fu kick into the cone or each driver.
    Dude, it isn't like a baseball glove. Go play your gig.

14. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    I've always played new speaker cabs straight up at volume, given the particular specs and purpose of the cab.

15. It's not needed, but if you really want to you could plug your ipod into your amp and play music through it for a few hours-that'll loosen 'em up a bit.