1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Proper way to combine pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Freight Train, May 24, 2012.

1. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    I have a custom built bass that I had built stereo with an XLR output so it uses a standard mic cable from the bass to a simple XLR to two 1/4" Y that's XLR pin 1 & 2 for neck pup, pin 1 & 3 for bridge pup. I want to keep it stereo for recording, but I'd also like to be able to use it as a standard mono bass live. The pups are active EMG's. My guess is the wrong way is to just tie the two pup outputs together - pin 1 to sleeve of a 1/4" and both 2 & 3 to tip. What's the correct way to do this so I don't lose anything in the mono configuration? Or can you just tie the two together? If it's just a simple L/C circuit or somesuch I'd want to do it in a little adaptor box at the amp, or maybe it's simple enough to do inside the XLR of the XLR to 1/4" pigtail?

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Inactive Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Just tie the two together.

3. Freight Train

Freight Train Earth-based Alternative Scientist, Sex Researcher

Feb 25, 2012
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks David! I love it when it's simple.