Proper way to finger a bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Is it striking the strings and have the finger rest on the next string? Example would be play g string and follow through and have that finger rest or come to a stop on the d string?

Or is it just plucking the strings without any follow through?
  2. ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    There is no proper way to finger a bass. As long as it is not uncomfortable and it works, then thats how.

That being said, what I do I rest my thumb on the pick ups, then say, I hit G, my finger that hit g will now be resting on the D string while my middle finger will now hit the G ( say I am playgin a bass line, all on teh g string ) then I interchange, now my middle is restign on D and my index is hitting th e G string.

Like I said, if it feels comfortable, and it works, then that is fine.
  3. 1. place bass on stand
    2. face bass
    3. make a fist
    4. raise middle finger
    5. with finger raised point top of hand toward bass
  4. The way I explain it is that to sound a string you place your finger on the string and push down, letting your finger slip past the string and rest on the string below it. So if you pluck the D string, your finger will rest on the A string.
  5. PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I prefer a pick, but use fingers too. Whatever technique you choose, pay attention to "string muting". Some techniques help mute strings you're not using better than others.