1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Proper way to finger a bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Is it striking the strings and have the finger rest on the next string? Example would be play g string and follow through and have that finger rest or come to a stop on the d string?

Or is it just plucking the strings without any follow through?

2. ireidt

ireidt

Mar 6, 2005
    Florida
    There is no proper way to finger a bass. As long as it is not uncomfortable and it works, then thats how.

That being said, what I do I rest my thumb on the pick ups, then say, I hit G, my finger that hit g will now be resting on the D string while my middle finger will now hit the G ( say I am playgin a bass line, all on teh g string ) then I interchange, now my middle is restign on D and my index is hitting th e G string.

Like I said, if it feels comfortable, and it works, then that is fine.

3. 1. place bass on stand
    2. face bass
    3. make a fist
    4. raise middle finger
    5. with finger raised point top of hand toward bass

4. The way I explain it is that to sound a string you place your finger on the string and push down, letting your finger slip past the string and rest on the string below it. So if you pluck the D string, your finger will rest on the A string.

5. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    I prefer a pick, but use fingers too. Whatever technique you choose, pay attention to "string muting". Some techniques help mute strings you're not using better than others.