Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

proper way to resize pictures?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Sep 20, 2004.

1. I took some pictures the other day, and my dad uploaded them onto my pc today. Problem being...he uploaded them at like 2300 x 2300 resolution! These things are rediclously large, not to mention at a round 1 meg per photo! My dad is fairly inept with computers...I wish he would of let me do it. But he deleted the photos from the camera, so I can't do over.

Is there any free program that can help me resize the photo and reduce the file size? MS Paint doesn't resize photos...only crops them.

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
  3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    yeah, irfanview. It's my favorite program when I just need to do a quick and easy resize or something else very basic.

www.irfanview.com It's very easy to use.

For more complex editing I use The Gimp 2.0 from www.gimp.org. Also free but has a learning curve.

brad cook

4. I just downloaded irfanview and it seems to be doing the job. Thanks!

5. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I was just about to suggest irfanview. Real easy to use, and best of all its free.

6. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    FWIW mspaint does resize, it's called stretch/skew in the image menu.

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    MS Publisher also does the job.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Photoshop. Its jsut the best way by a goddamn mile.

9. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Magnifing glass

Ya... PS is great too

Cheers

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The question has been answered people. He no longer needs suggestions that weren't valid anyway since Photoshop is not legally free.

brad cook

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thread title:

proper way to resize pictures?

All i was doing is offering an alternative to the free (and crap) programs people were suggesting. Get out of your tree, Brad.

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Nah - learn to climb, man
    :p :rolleyes:

Brad's advice is exactly what I'd suggest. Since getting a laptop earlier in the year, I haven't got round to installing The Gimp on it but have made a lot more use of Irfanview. It makes it very easy to view pictures (T for thumbnails, pick a directory and double click the image), run through them in slideshow view (hit the return key to enter / exit slideshow mode and use space and backspace to move foward and back), crop them down (click and drag a box on screen, resize by clicking and dragging the sides and press Ctrl-Y to crop), rotate (L for left and R for right), resize (Ctrl-R) and adjust colour balance, contrast, etc (Shift-G). As long as you remember to save your changes (Ctrl-S) before moving to the next image it's an easy way to work with your images.

For any user who wants more processing power but doesn't want to splash out on Photoshop, The Gimp is also worth serious consideration. For my purposes (professional webdesign - serious CMYK support not required) it fits the bill perfectly. Photoshop is also very good but I don't think it's price (unlike The Gimp, not free as in either beer or speech) is worth it for me.

Wulf

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh ok. I typically read the post before responding. I assumed everyone else did.

So you think The Gimp is crap? Apparently you've never used it. And btw - he asked for free programs...thus the offering of free programs. Have you used Irfanview either? How is the resizing function of Irfanview crap? I've used Photoshop and still find these free crap programs plenty adequate. The Gimp is, in fact, quite a powerful photo editing program. I don't know what "get out of your tree" means. Must be a brit thing.

brad cook

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The Gimp is great :)

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Using Photoshop just for resizing is pure overkill when you can use a smaller and faster tool like Irfanview.

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Having looked at both programs, i think that they're both pretty good, but i think that the true vector based nature of photoshop means that the end results are much more "true" to the original image than those ifranview creates.

Opinion is great people :D!

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Photoshop is not vector-based, at least not when you resize a picture.

Also, why shell out 400 bucks for resizing a pic when a freeware program can do it just as good?