1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Properly cooling an amp in a rack enclosure

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickname, Mar 31, 2006.

1. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    I have my Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ in side a 4space rack, but have noticed that the fan doesnt work quite as well, obviously due to a blockage of air.

Does anyone have some suggestions on ways to keep the amp super cool while its in the enclosure?

thanks

2. you can buy an external fan

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Get a clip-on fan. Make sure it's postioned properly and that there is airflow where it needs to be.

4. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    any suggestion on models, or part numbers? brands? where could i pick these up?

thanks guys.

5. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
  6. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    I would prefer to have something I can hardwire to the amp so i don't have to deal with getting yet ANOTHER extension chord. I already have 3 extra power cables that need to be plugged in (pedals and wireless)

7. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    You might consider putting a power strip in the back of your rig to plug everything into. I did that when i was running 2 pres plus a power amp.

As far as the fans-i think Radio Shack or a simliar place sells fans that are intended for PCs that you could wire to a plug and if you can figure out how to mount them onto a blank rack panel [thinking cut out the shape you need] you'd have a rack mounted fan. Or-the clip fan would be far easier.

that's all

8. if your amp lead is detachable (IEC/Kettle lead) then you could install something like this in the back of your rack

[​IMG]

replacing the fans connection with one of these:

[​IMG]

alternatively if you have space at the back you could use something like this [​IMG]
    you might be able to hardwire this but I don't really know without seeing inside of your amp. Be sure to wire the polarity the right way other wise you'll burn the fan motor out (like I did once) and keep cables clear (obviously).

9. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    clip on fans are usually like $10 at the local drugstore, i have 2 of them & i have no idea what brand name they are.

other than that, maybe put the amp into a cooler full of ice? :bag:

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I've always had a rack that's got more space than what's actually racked in it (that's where I carry various cables, my V-Bass etc) and it's always had a high-quality surge protector mounted inside. Clip-on fans are great because they can feed the back fan of a power amp with air while also blowing over the top of it - and sometimes I like to stand in front of the rack and feel the 3-space airflow at hot gigs.

11. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I would also suggest ditching the 4 space and getting as little as a 6 space... Put the amp in all the way at the bottom and the extra 2 spots will allow the heat from the top to rise and have room to go out...

12. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    how much wattage can that thing handle? my power amps draw a lot, but it looks like a great suggestion if it can handle the power draw.

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    [​IMG]

14. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
  15. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    i bought a 4 inch fan from walmart for 6 bucks and it keeps my svt 2 pro nice and cool...

16. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I have my 400+ in a Gator 4 unit rack case, as I wish to keep its size and weight minimal. Before doing this I asked a similar question on Talkbass and received some excellent advice - the best being that since the fan is side vented drill holes on the sides to allow a through flow of air. I chose the Gator case because the handles indent exactly where the fan is, so the holes do not appear unsightly or to obvious (I know, I know, it is the sound that counts but hey....). It is important to drill the holes on both sides - anyway, I have had no problems at all with it getting hot, and recently ran it for five hours non-stop at an outdoor gig,very loud, with no issues at all. Hope this helps, Tim.

17. We use those things at work and it can power an 8-way Trantec S-5000 radio microphone kit nicely, but those don't have a huge power demand.
    I would use one of those IEC blocks for my outboard kit, sampler, vocoder, compressor, EQ but I wouldn't be 100% powering a head/power amp from it. (if I had a rack that is).

heres the data sheet from the manufacturer:
    http://www.bulgin.co.uk/PDFs/CatNo82/CatNo82pages/Pages_86and87_2005_Cat.pdf

they also offer a 6-way boxes. Data sheet:
    http://www.bulgin.co.uk/PDFs/CatNo82/CatNo82pages/Page_89_2005_Cat.pdf

EDIT: just noticed most of these are rated at maximum of 10A, so probably not on the power amp front. but check your power-amps Amp draw, if that makes sense.

18. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    My 400+ is in an SKB 4 space roller, and what I have done to solve the problem is to install a small secondary fan in the side of the rack, in the front left. I added a small switch to the face of the rack on that side, such that I can turn it on and off as needed without digging around in the back. That way, it will draw cool air into the rack and cause the hot air to discharge out the back, and the fan on the 400 will still give appropriate "draft" over the tubes. The problem in racks is not that the on-board fan doesn't move air, it's just that the heat piles up inside the rack - Boogie kinda blew it on this one, designing a rack mount amp that does not either intake or exhaust through the face plate . . .

- Tim

19. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
  20. nickname

nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    yea i am also using a gator 4 space with the roller.

i don't know if i really want to drill holes. id rather get some fans. some eye candy would be nice.