Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Proportions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassMan257, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Hey... im trying to draw a bass that looks correct... ive been using my bass for refrence, but, it just seems like mines wrong comparied to a couple other drawings...

this is what i know... the distance between the nut and the saddle on the bridge is 34 inches... and 17inches away from the bridge is the 12th fret...

where does a 21fret neck start in comparison with the saddles? is it 10 inches away? this is what i had, but i saw some other scale drawings with 9...

reason being, is i have a bass thats 24frets... and im trying to take measurements off the 21st fret, but its 10 inches away from the saddle...

im just a bit confused... cause i cant get anything to look verry good... what ive been trying looks good for a while, but then all the sudden is way out of proportion, and its really ticking me off..

thanks for helping me out here...

2. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    There is not a simple measurement like that. There was a fret distance calculator posted on here a while back. That is the tool you want. I don't remember what the link was, but you could probably google it, or someone here could tell you.

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    It may be in the FAQ...I don't remember.

Why not do this:

draw a 34" line representing the distance from saddle to nut, and mark off whatever landmarks you'd like, such as the 12th fret. Then, measure the distance from nut to 21st fret on your bass (if you want that to be your model) and then mark that measurement off on your design line?

4. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Or you can cheat and use a Stewmac fret template....;)

5. hmm... ok..

i just got the neck im going to use for this project im doing now in the mail (yeah, im a wimp, i didnt make my own neck)

Now i just need to know how to start the calculations... the fingerboard on that neck is 2ft long... wich makes it easy for where the bridge should be....

Is it bad if i have the neck 4 inches in?

and just one more time to make it clear... i should put the bridge on first right? then route out the neck hole little by little checking to make sure that its sitting right.... right?

6. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

:confused:

I wouldn't...once you fix the neck to the bass, it will be easier to place the bridge accordingly.

7. Just so you know, its going to be a bolt on... so im guessing you mean once i "bolt it on"... and the stripe on the body might make it hard to line up the neck joint... but oh well, someone else said to put on the bridge first, then line the neck up to that... i guess it doesnt really matter as long as their lined up...

heck, the stripe might make it easyer

8. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Yeah, I figured it was a bolt-on. I'd still say do the neck first. If you drill the bridge holes in and then route the neck pocket and find that they don't line up, you can always move the bridge at that point, but you'll still have holes from the previous placement. If you route the pocket and fix the neck in place (clamp, carpet tape, or something else to hold it), run string or fishing line from the nut to the bridge, you can adjust the bridge placement to get it just right, then mark it, drill, and there you go...no extra holes.

9. You should have your bridge in hand, and know whether or not the height of it requires a neck angle (or not)...but you don't actually screw it down until you've done the neck pocket and can at least dry-fit the neck.

Bridge...first thing you buy, last thing you put on (except pickups).

10. lol.. and ive bought everything except a bridge... lol