proposed band line up, thoughts needed

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 60's Bluesman, Feb 21, 2010.

1. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    ok this will be a long post so please read the whole thing so you can help me out here:). Im looking to put together a blues band that plays mostly cover stuff but some originals too. ive scouted the area and heres the proposed members ive found, these guys are all friends of mine too.

1. Me, bass (duh) and back up vocals

2. lead guitar, ive know this guy since i was 4 or 5. hes also a solid drummer but hes the best guitar player whoses a "free agent" right now. has experince in metal and rock music as well as recording and lately has been playing alot of bb king music. he has issues and has caused band to break up in the past.

3. drummer, he and i became friends when our ex-girlfriends dumped us on the same day last summer but we have know of each other for our wholes lifes. he has experince in rock and metal as well as gospel music, he also is a passable guitarist but not stage ready by any means. the only problems i can see with him is that hes a near olympic level runner and that consumes alot of his time, hes also the only one among us whoses in college.

4. backup guitar, this dude i met in school this year, hes a solid guitarist but he dont learn entire songs (no idea why) i figure he could handle being a backup guitarist though. the issues he has is hes by far the youngest among us, hes a freshman in high school, and as i said he dont usualy learn whole songs.

you will notice there is no lead singer because as far as i am aware there is no good singers where i live and i suppose we could find him or her later on.

i doubt this this band will ever be more then a small time cover band.do you guys think this band, with what ive told you here, could work and hold together for more then 10 mins? any thoughts, comments or advice would be great.

2. There's a 4pc original band from CGY. They do about 3hrs of covers too... They're the only of 2 original bands I know in Canada that gigs over a hundred X/yr. They're very portable. Everyone sings, plays bass, guitar and drums. Except for the Violinist... he does just that. A lot of their gigs are only 1 or 2 players, but they can pull out a few sets in duets or trios.

1. Can you sing lead for a while too?

All I can say is, get them to do what you can. Sounds like you're the only one who will be reliable, solid and have enough time on your hands. You guys might have to double up on instruments if someone doesn't make it or flakes out. Which isn't all bad, you'll be worth more in the end.

3. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    no my singing ablities are quite limited

4. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    nobody has anything else to add?

5. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Have one of the guitarists sing. I find singers are more trouble than they're worth most of the time.

6. Rob Lewis

Rob Lewis

Feb 23, 2006
    London
    If by "issues" you mean that you have to make allowances then I would have nothing to do with it.

7. valenore

valenore

Jul 22, 2005
    Georgia
    Steps to determine your answer:

1.) Get together
    2.) Jam
    3.) Decide using the following method:

If you have fun playing with each other, the band will work.
    If you don't have fun playing together, the band will not work.

8. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    Sounds pretty good, but I'd lose the bass player. [​IMG]

9. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    haha

10. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I would stay away from this guy. But maybe he has changed and no longer has issues and won't cause any more bands to break up? :rollno:

11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Start with a great singer, and fill in the other pieces as appropriate.

12. Start with a written plan and a good singer.

Timmy

13. Hayseed

Hayseed

Feb 18, 2010
    Oregon
    Start by posting on a forum and asking for a lot of opinions from people with all different backgrounds and experiences.;-)

14. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    way ahead of ya:p

15. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Full speed ahead, learn tunes, arrangements, and do what you must along the way. Work hard, do a good job, things you learn in preparing to gig are not wasted. Things will change and you will adapt. Happy one day, PO'd the next. Don't give up. Post pics, set lists and samples when you can. The evolution of a young blues band. Hell, if the band doesn't make it, you can still publish and maybe sell the 'reality' rights.

Oh and as others have posted, nothing beats a solid vocalist.

16. I agree. It does not need to be a 'good' singer, just 'great' with interesting stage presence. Unless you are aiming at becoming a shoe gazer band, of course.

17. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My own personal experience supports this statement.

18. before a singer.. still get a written plan.. or you're doomed to be a garage band.

19. Hyper-sloth

Hyper-sloth

Apr 3, 2008
    Tampa, FL
    +1 on both. If no one sings well then you will sound like a garage band. Not bad in itself but not good for getting gigs. Most if not all of the audience that I have played in front of pay like 85% of their attention to the singer, like 10% to the guitarist and 4% to the drummer. The remaining 1% goes to the bass player during the solo you may get! Unless you can't groove in which case everyone blames you! Unfortunately most folks need to attach a face and personality to the music. I see really tight bands playing all the time and most folks will start to talk when it's soloing time. In fact you can spot the musicians by who is paying attention to the instruments. Bar owners only care about one thing, making money. Can't blame them, I don't work for free, I need to make money too. They will hire the bands that make people dance, thirsty and stay longer than ten minutes because they like the band. Guess I meandered to long, but take what you want from this.

20. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Sounds like you need a different Lead Guitar, Drummer, and Rhythm Guitarist.

In my opinion.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021