Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Proposed Carvin rig + Ohms question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McBassist, Oct 30, 2005.

1. McBassist

McBassist

Aug 24, 2005
    Hey all -

I'm thinking of getting a Carvin B1500 amp and a Avatar Neo 212 cab, then someday adding a Neo 210 and a Kappa 115.

All the cabs are 8 ohms, 600 watts. The Carvin runs 700/1250/1900watts at 8/4/2 ohms respectively.

Question: With all three cabs hooked up, I'd have a 2.6 ohm load. Would the amp give the cabs a combined average wattage around 1700-1800? Or would the amp stay around 1250w and not go to 1900w until a full 2 ohm load is applied?

2nd Question: Does this sound like a good set-up? Or would I be better off getting 300-400 watt cabs, ensuring more clean head room?

Thanks,

- McB

2. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    The head would put out around 1500 watts I think. Either way thats ALOT of volume, with some really efficient speakers, don't think you'd need anything more than the 212 and the 210 unless you go and play big stadiums.

Going with cabs with less watts would get you more headroom, but the avatars will work just as good I think.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    That rig should work fine. Consider also Carvin's BRX12 2-12 cab. I've auditioned it and it's very good. Not saying it's necessarily better than Avatar, which I haven't tried, but it may be, and you could probably get a good price on a package deal from Carvin.

BTW, you have a fundamental misconception on headroom. Using cabs rated to handle less power will NOT give you more clean headroom. Headroom has absolutely nothing to do with the ratio between your amp's output and the power handling of your cab(s), and everything to do with the ratio between the amount of amp power you have available and the amount of amp power you need to use to get your desired volume and tone. Cab power handling per se is irrelevant to headroom. For instance, if you only ever use a max of 60% of your amp's power, your headroom is exactly the same whether your cabs are rated the same as your amp, higher, or lower (assuming equal efficiency and frequency response).

Actually, in a way, getting lower rated cabs could, in some situations, effectively result in *less* clean headroom--i.e., if you approach the limits of the speaker's capacity before you approach the limits of the amp's capacity.

There's no inherent benefit in having the cab rated at a lesser value than your amp. In itself, that does nothing for you. There *is* a benefit in having more amp than you need. That's where your headroom is. If you have more than enough amp, it doesn't really matter what your cab's power handling is, as long as it can handle *at least* the amount of power that your using (which, remember, is ideally much less than the amp's rated maximum).