Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Proposing TB London Get-Together!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Good day to you gentlemen,

As some of you might know, I'm coming to London in mid-January to stay for few days, and as I know that time spend with other bassists - especially with other TBers - is quality time, I would be very delighted in meeting everyone who could make it there :)

I have seen the pics from the latest London meeting and it looked very nice, and maybe we could storm some music stores to see if there's nice equipment around.

I'm sorry, I know this is bit late with barely month to go to make any major arrangements because of this, but I trust atleast some people could be able to come on this short notice.

Any comments from UK TBers? Mr. Lindfield, you seem to be one of the senior members there, your opinion would be appriciated.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

No - CS is the ring-leader and organiser-in-chief!! ;)

3. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Pick a Saturday in January when you're around. Details like 'where' and 'what' can be sorted out once we've got past the 'who' and 'how many' questions - somewhere like the Gallery would be excellent to visit but probably not if fifteen people turn up (it's a tad small).

Wulf

4. Bruce Lindfield

It might be an idea to visit the "NEW" Bass Centre - they're moving sometime in January to a place near Liverpool Street Station. There are some good pubs/restaurants around there and I would be up for checking out what it's like - maybe they'll even have some introductory bargains/offers? ;)

Only thing about Saturdays for me is that I have regular Jazz classes at Sussex University and am also a season ticket holder for Brighton & Hove Albion football club - so there aren't many Saturdays when I'm not doing one or the other or both!

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Okay... let's revise that to 'pick a day'. I will be busy Mondays to Fridays (no unallocated leave days to spare) and most Sundays. Saturdays work for me. :D

It still depends first on when Tsal is available.

Wulf

ps. I could make some weekday evenings... but I imagine that would curtail most bass shopping opportunities. Food could still happen though ;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I agree that Saturday is probably going to be best for most people - do you like the NEW Bass Centre idea?

As TSAL (real name?) is going to be coming from Finland then we are going to have to work round him - as he said he was only over for a few days.

So if there is a Saturday, included then if he say when- we can see how many UK London area people can come.

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hey Bruce, BTW I'm going to be in Brighton sometime next week. Any interesting bass-related places around there - or are they all in London? ;)

8. Bruce Lindfield

There is only one music shop in Brighton really and it has mostly guitars - although a few basses - Fenders, Ibanez.

I buy all my music/bass-related stuff in London as I work there and have an office near Denmark St/Oxford St./Tottenham Court Road.

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Really? That's a hell of a commute! :eek:

10. Bruce Lindfield

Well - fast trains are about 50 minutes between Brighton and London. I do work from home when I can as well.

11. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    you guys meet up and ull see me at the station. busking...

please give generously.

12. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I do like the new Bass Centre idea - does anyone know when they are actually moving. I know it's sometime in January, and I presume there will be at least a few days between one store shutting and the new one opening. However, I'm certainly keen to visit their new location if that would fit in.

What are the opening hours as well?

Wulf

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Bruce, Tony will do, thanks.

I just checked my calendar, and I'll be arriving Friday morning, 17th of January.

The weekend is easy to remember, for it's also when Tori Amos is performing both at Friday and Saturday in London. My stars seem to be properly aligned, for have a perfect 5-day break from my studies then and am able to fly to London and catch her Saturday evening gig at Carling Apollo Hammersmith.

So what would probably best suit everyone would be an early meeting at Saturday, perhaps around noon or so when the stores are open. If I recall correctly, the gig starts around 7pm, and if it lasts couple of hours I could even rejoin any TB members interested in seeing some nightlife afterwards. I hear that nowadays some pubs and clubs are open after 11pm, too.. I just wonder if they all are trendy, loud discos or are there any nice rock-kind of clubs or more quiet pubs around.

My flight back to Helsinki leaves at Wednesday morning, so I have couple days to wonder around the city after the weekend.

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Saturday 18 January? It's in my diary. Look forward to meeting some of you then.

Who else can make that date?

Wulf

15. Hilly

Hilly

Jan 10, 2002
    Ipswich, UK
    I should be free then, it'd be good to meet up with some of you guys.

Rich

16. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Hello!!! I'm in London too, and will shortly be doing a Bruce, i.e. living down in Brighton but working in London. I've actually just bought a Yamaha QY70 so I can make use of the commute to write songs etc. Out of interest Bruce, how reliable is the train service (surely it can't be worse than the tube!). I might be interested in a bass get together too, might save my girlfriend from some of my inane bass-related ramblings...

Alex

17. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    why does everyone think the tube stinks? Ive never had a late train on the underground. And i use it everyday. Sometimes its a bit packed but the trains themselves are always on time....hmmmm......:confused:

18. Bruce Lindfield

I dug out the flyer we got from the clinic and it just says "we are moving in January 2003" - to Brune Street E1 7NH - two minutes from Liverpool Street Station.

I have checked the date and while I don't have a Jazz class that day; the 18th January is the day of the big "South Coast derby". Brighton are at home to Portsmouth and I already have tickets. This is the biggest match of the season and there is no way I can miss it!!

So - kick-off is at 3.00 pm, but I will probably have to get there by about 2.00 and won't be away until 5.30 - 6.00pm.

19. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well, this week I have been late for work, 2 days out of 4, and it's been entirely the tube's fault. And yesterday I had to walk the length of Oxford Street to get home because of severe delays on the Central Line. Hence my occasional annoyance with the tube. Admittedly this has been a particularly bad week, but still...

Alex

20. Bruce Lindfield

I've had problems with the Tube as well - quite often when I come up to Victoria - the whole station is closed or lines are closed - then I end up being late for my meeting!

But I do find the tube more reliable than the railways!! The Brighton to London line is nearly always late, overcrowded and they sit for ages out side the station - very frustrating and they say ther are a lack of platforms - didn't they think about that!! ??

The trains drove me mad when I was commuting every day and I was so stressed by it all that I couldn't do anything else but work and sleep.

So there were many years where I didn't play music at all! :(

It was only when we got to do most stuff via the network and that I could do a lot of work from home, that I got back into playing music and took up bass again and got into Jazz.

I tried to do musical stuff on the train but it was impossible - often you don't get a seat, or it is so crowded that you can't move even if you do get seat. I started an Open University music course and tried to do work on the train - but got too far behind and had to give it up! :(