Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Props for my Reverend 5L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chef, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Old news for Reverend converts, but...
    I've gigged my new to me used 5L twice now, and I just can't say enough good things about it. Man, that mother cuts thru the band! Massive tone! Excellent playability.
    More's the shame they quit making them.

2. Glad you're digging it! They truly are great basses. I had a very early 5L for about five minutes (before I remembered I'm not a 5-string player) and it not only had a great B string, but the best open E that I've ever heard. My band was recording at the time and the 5L made it onto one track, so it's "immortalized."
    What color is yours? Mine was an absolutely gorgeous green with a gold pickguard.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Kind of a teal/aquamarine. Wish it was "turned aluminum, but ebay beggars can't be choosers;)

4. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Congrats on the new Reverend. They are indeed a nice bass to play and hear. They're great in the studio too,especially through a tube DI. And I use to hate going direct. I'm ordering another one before it's too late. Sept.30 is the cut off date and that will come up pretty quick. I would skulk around ebay but when I want something from there it usually gets snatched by some one else.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

5. DojoMaster

DojoMaster MusicDojo.com

Aug 3, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Rezdog...

If you are interested, I'm considering selling my 5L. I actually need to purchase a four stringer for teaching purposes. It's a unique color...purple, with a gray pickguard. They really didn't have purple as an offered color, but when I called them to talk about the bass, they had that, along with a neon green and canary yellow.

It's in just about perfect shape...One ***tiny*** nick on the headstock, which I actually need to search for to see. No other marks/scratches anywhere. I can send pix if you want.

--Len

6. DojoMaster

DojoMaster MusicDojo.com

Aug 3, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh...I actually found the nick. It's like 1mm on the back of the headstock. I'll take pix of it, but it probably won't show up!

7. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Thanks for the offer of the 5L but I'm scraping and shaking everything I can to get Mr Naylor to make me another Brad 5. The 5L must be wild in purple though.
    Rezdog

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
  9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    Thanks for the heads up. I crossed the border in early August :ninja: and payed Joe Naylor a visit and asked if he could do something a little special. So I've got tunnel vision right now. But I do appreciate the help.
    Rezdog

10. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Roight!

11. DojoMaster,

How much are you asking for your 5L?

12. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    hey Reverend playas, have you compared the p/j fish to the standard jj's? what's the difference in tone like? i typically prefer split-p pickups, but if the fish are as fat as everyone says they are i may consider the j/j. i've mostly been itching for a bass with low-end growl and definition, but that same fender warmth. like some of the sadowsky recordings i've been hearing.

13. DojoMaster

DojoMaster MusicDojo.com

Aug 3, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I'd like to get $600 plus shipping. It includes the gig bag, and actual shipping shouldn't be that much, since the bass and the bag are light. It really is near mint. Here is the URL for pix. Note the last pic is actually an attempt to show the only flaw on the bass, which is the tiny nick on the back corner of the back of the headstock.

http://homepage.mac.com/lenmonster/PhotoAlbum8.html

14. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

this thread has my comparison between my PJ and and XL (J-J with slightly different controls) that I used to have. Personally I've almost never been satisfied with J-J basses and much prefer P-J. I much prefer my PJ Rumblefish over the JJ ones I've tried - but it really is personal preference (like I've figured out I must have a neck pickup, and like Ps better than Js and most humbuckers).

15. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Craig, thanks for the link. I seem to recall reading that at some point. I've been wanting a Fish for quite some time. You mentioned that the XL had more growl in the lowend rather than thump/punch. Would you say the lows are much better/bigger on the XL than a typical Fender Jazz? I prefer Precisions, but periodically find myself in the mood for a Jazz bass. But it doesn't last long because they lack that thickness.

16. The (JJ) Rumblefish XL has a series/parallel/single coil mini toggle switch with one tone and one volume control. In the "series" position you get some serious thump that is reminiscent of a P-Bass as both pickups are working like a giant humbucker. It is also hotter in the series mode. The "regular" JJ Rumblefish doesn't have this feature; it has the standard Jazz Bass control layout.

17. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

IMO the XL does have bigger/better lows than a regular J-J type setup, when in series. As lonote points out the XL has different controls than a regular Rumblefish (not that you can't modify a regular Rumblefish to give you series wiring - in fact I've seen lots of posts about that particular mod on a jazz bass). It does have a touch less clarity in series than either a PJ or a regular JJ. I know of one person who was talking about adding the ability to favor one pickup over the other slightly in series mode to get around that.

When I had the XL it never came out of series mode. It just sounded too thin for my taste. Personally, I recommend the PJ over either JJ but I know other folks (bovinehost, et al) would beg to differ (I think Jack found the PJ lacking in clarity to his ears - of course I don't agree ;) ).

At my soundclick page I've got 2 works-in-progress, one that used the PJ and one that used the XL that you can take a listen to. Not the finest recordings but maybe they can add a data point for you.

18. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    My 5L JJ XL has at least as much kick in the pants as either of my precisions, maybe more in series mode. Definately bigger than your standard passive jazz...