Pros and Cons of 36" scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim T., Nov 22, 2001.

1. just get a friggin' dingwal and get it over with.

2. Wow! Thanks guys.
    I'm learning tons here. The incitement for this thread was that I saw a 36 for sale that I fell totally in lust with online. I do have small hands and barely make it on a 34" fretless. I can cheat a bit with fretted...

I've since emailed with the luthier and am discussing the same instrument in a mid sized scale 33" or 32" if I can get a clear/focused low B (in the shortest scale possible.)
    I'm not sure how much of an aural difference there would be between those two scales.
    It's exciting to hear from someone who plays a 33"!
    Tell me more! Is this akin to playing at about center between the frets on a 34?

The 36" was so gorgeous to me that I briefly considered buying it and using a capo!

Thank you for all of the comments and experience so far on the 36".

3. I don't understand why the D or G would be affected negatively by increased scale length. Illuminate me please?

FF

TJH3113 likes this.
  4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If he knew...

;)

5. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Indeed. Here's my Carvin fiver in Walnut, and it doesn't quite look the same as the XB, eh? :)

http://www.fanafi.org/mjwGear/mjw-lb75p-2.jpg

6. geesh, i just wish you guys could come to my house, strap on my overwater and plug in, it would really open up your eyes.

for example, i've just got a TRB5 fretless, and while its not bad, i do miss the 2 extra inches i get with the overwater the B is a little lifeless,

i use 36" nickles, there a multigauge string that work from 34 -36" and there nice, they also come in stainless and are available in different gauges, where???

Overwater get them made in the US and shipped here, there well priced, granted they don't have loads and loads of them, but they've always got some in, do you really think they would build an XL bass without strings :)

i've never had a problem with the D and G string, but that probably because my bass is made a by a great builder, who has pioneered the Xtended scale with others following, much, much later

basically, you either like it or you don't, but remember, there's not a lack of 34" basses is there! you've a harder time both on you legs, and wallet to find a good 36", which i think i have.

give it a go, play em, and have fun, i certainly will be playing XL basses for ever.

*disclaimer* :) i'm 6'7" tall, with and equal arm span and huge hands, but i play 34's aswell

stu :p

7. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm certainly interested in hearing more about XL-scale strings and Overwaters, but is anyone else finding this as incomprehensible as I am?

Mike

8. what, the strings thing or 36" basses!

simple a set of strings that work on both 34, 35 and 36 " scale basses, work as in they are suitable for and will have no trouble with them on a 34, even though they will also fit a 36"

i hope theres nothing there thats too difficult ot understand :rolleyes:

9. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    It's the sentences, not the idea of XL-scale strings or Overwaters, that I find incomprehensible. (Nouns, verbs, propositions, and puncuation arranged into traditional sentences are helpful there....)

--Does this mean that you know of some brand of string that fits your 36" scale basses? If so, would you mind actually telling us *** the brand is? (I'm still trying to make sense of the ",where??" tacked on the end...)

--Do you mean that if you buy a set of strings that fits a 36" scale bass, it will also usually fit a 34" scale bass? I don't really recall that being a question.

--Do you mean that Overwater has some sort of "house brand" string that they order from a US string maker (whose name you failed to give), or that Overwaters have strings on them?

So far, the "Overwaters have strings" part is about the only thing I'm certain of, and that seemed to be sort of stating the obvious.

Mike

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'm with you mz, mostly indecipherable.

To be a diction bitch, I really can't stand that people don't understand that there are, in addition to "there", "their" and "they're". And funny enough they all have distinct meanings and are very useful! :)

Not to mention, tyburn makes it sound like Overwater were the first 36" scale basses. What time did they make this "innovation"? (could be true, I really don't know, I just get the feeling we're on the timescale of the recent resurgence of extra-long scales, but they've been around here and there for decades).

11. 8 some may not like this, but hey, your only young and stupid once hey Mike :rolleyes:

ok, MIKE, a question, do you like to fill your time, prowling the boards finding random individuals who, like myself treat the realm of the internet as a place where punctuation, grammar, and the tone of our post have no real relevance on the content?

or is it out of sheer compasion and concern that you have a bloated and elevated, overt attitude of superiority?

we spend out lives as bass players, being creative, passionate an sometimes a little frivolous. Therefore please excuse my complete lack of decorum and my 'i don't give a ****' attitude.

i really don't mind being patronised by people i know, those who i admire, as i know they have substance and grounding. But for an individual,such as yourself to take that attitude, is, well rather ****ty.

i don't know you from dick (well richard actually) and frankly i don't want to. i tried to make a post, to say what i had to say as quickly and as easily as possible. the fact that it was done in 20 seconds while as university( yes, i do go to one! :O ) and in a way i feel comfortable, won't really make a difference to you. but as i don't care, well!?

you probably don't know this, but i don't ask questions here, all i try to do is add to what others have said and to offer a little advice. in this circumstance i felt as if i had something to offer, being a bass player and one who plays with 36".

granted i'm nowhere near as old as you! And as we all know the older you are, the more intelligent, wordly and generally superior we tend to get.

when you stop being so uptight, release a little preasure and play something interesting, we'll chat.

me?? well i'm of to play my bass and unlike you, not to deconstruct the financial times.

Stuart Wilson Ba (hons) graphic design.

(sorry it's not English, but i never claimed to be as good as you :)

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    tyburn, take it easy. *WE COULDN'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU WERE TRYING TO SAY*. You might have the best intentions, and yes your attitude is up to you, but if you have something you want to say and people can't understand it, then you waste your time and everybody else's.

When I'm having a conversation with someone, physical or virtual, I appreciate it when they make the extra effort, if necessary, to ensure that they have said what they *intend* to say. Otherwise, what good is conversation?

MZ in fact never said anything personal about your upbringing, education, intelligence, etc. Why you chose to make this the topic, I don't know.

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S.

"where punctuation, grammar, and the tone of [y]our post have no real relevance on the content? "

Do you *really* believe this?

After hearing that we both had no idea what you were trying to say (the "content" as you call it), does that change your mind?

14. really, me neither :(
    hey, i tell you what when i've finished my disertation i'll run the spell checker over it once, ok?

look guys, i'm not claiming to be a genious, but i'm not stupid. i don't turn other peoples posts into a freak show of spelling mistakes and punctuational errors.

so, you couldn't understand it, ok. but please don't try to make me feel like a fool, i don't, but thats because i don't care, i know i'm intelligent and can write correctly.

However if you picked on another person, especially younger, you really could crush their confidence. remember we do have alot of younger members, i'm not exactly anticent.

i know my responce was a little angry and sarcastic, but anyone who has read what i have to say in any of my near 400 posts will be able to tell that i know what i'm talking about.

Man can break language barriers. You'd think we'd give a little slack for a few fullstops and commars

stu

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
  16. mikezimmerman

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Actually, I'm still waiting to hear what kind of strings has has on his Overwaters.

Mike

17. not really, i've got other things to worry about. Two people out of X thousands isn't worth calculating as a percentage.

Stu plays bass, thats about it mate. Well here any way, and i think i'm rather good at it.

grammer doesn't rule my life, women do :)

18. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    "so, you couldn't understand it, ok. but please don't try to make me feel like a fool, i don't, but thats because i don't care, i know i'm intelligent and can write correctly. "

1. Sounds like the textbook definition of a fool to me

2. So you hold back on the little effort it would take to write intelligently, and make the rest of us pick up the slack. And you know it. Wonderful. Nothing I can do about that, so I will not try anymore. Later.

19. Multigauge nickle roundwound medium 5 string.

20. MY DAD IS BIGGER THAN YOUR DAD.

and if he's not, i certainly am.

i really like you Gesel.

if we were all judge by our artistic abilities, then i'd be an expert. i could mock your use of typography, colour and tone choice. Composistion would be especially tickling for me.

but we're not.

so you feel offended by people who have basic or non existant English abilities. so how much do you think i get offended by people who have no eye for colour, design or basic taste?

how many avatars do people have that look tacky?:) or custom made bases that look like a blob of crap! and you know that they have it because its beautique.

its good that you no longer care, perhaps we'll finish it. but i know one thing, your spell checker must hate you :)