Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pros and cons of BEAD tuning

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fleabass89, Apr 9, 2001.

1. A) The pros outweigh the cons; do it.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. B) The cons outweigh the pros; don't do it.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. C) The pros and cons balance; I'm not sure

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. D) Quit worrying, just have some fun and do it.

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Instead of buying a 5-string, I have decided to get an amp, and i sure as hell can't get both. BEAD tuning has greatly captured my interest, and I would do it right now, except that I won't have the G string. I can always play up the neck a bit, but some songs, for example Crossroads by the Offspring, require the G string. A fiver would be better but I just don't have the dough right now. What do you think?

2. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    Wise choice on getting the amp first.You'll probably get the best results by buying a five string set and using only the top 4 strings on your bass.You'll need a new nut to do this though as the nut presently used on your bass is cut for a regular 4 string set.I did detune my E string once to low B but it was so floppy that it was virtually unplayable.Maybe look into that hipshot de-tuner to use on your E string.I don't like the looks of it but it apparently works very well.

3. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    When tuning your four down to B, it's best to try to use heavier gauge strings and a light touch when playing. It also helps to have a longer scale length. Although, if you already have a 34" bass, you can't do too much about it now.

Hategear a.k.a. Cameron(ius)

PS...Type O Negative play in B and I have read many articles about how they often have to retune in the middle of a set due to the fact that the strings go all whacky on 'em. They're definately a cool band!

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Go for it. The only thing you really need to worry about is the nut. Check the archives cos there are some other threads on this subject that might have some other useful tips. Post back here if do it to let us know how it goes. I know another bassist who wants to do the same mod.

5. I tune to B on my 4 string, and haven't had any problems with it so far (I've been doing it for almost a year). Low to high I have a .130, .100, .080, and .065. I cut the nut myself, using a razor blade and a small file, and it works great, never had to adjust anything but the string height. I say go for it dude.