Pros and cons of pre or post EQ insertion of compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chasarms, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have an Eden WT-500 that I am pretty much in love with, but I have noticed that it is FAR more dynamically sensitive than my Ampeg. So, I think I'll break out a rack compressor and tighten up the sound just a bit. I'm not looking for a megasquash, just a touch.

My interest is in a discussion of the pros and cons of inserting pre-EQ vs. post-EQ as the Eden offers a loop for either option.

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I leave post EQ comp to soundguys.
    pre EQ will be much more efficient to tighten up your tone.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I can't notice a bit of difference between the compressor run inline with the bass or in the effects loop, so I run it inline and it goes through my amp and to the DI. I like to compress my own signal for my tastes, and I think it gives me more control over my sound before the soundman gets to it. But that's just me.
  4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    With post-EQ you can use EQ settings to make one part of the sonic spectrum trigger the compressor more than another. If you boost your mids then the mids will be louder and trigger the compressor more. It isn't multiband compression but you can see how the EQ gives you that level of control.

Using the compressor in the pre-EQ position lets you control the dynamics first, then adjust the tone.

That is the biggest difference. I don't prefer one over the other. You may or may not hear a big difference depending on how drastic your EQ settings are. Also, your threshold settings will be different if your EQ is generating gain.

What comp are you thinking about using?
  5. gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    +1 for JimmyM.
    Send the compressed signal pre EQ to the front desk.
    I am using my amp ONLY for compensating stage acoustics. So I am almost free to do what I want to the EQ and don't have to worry about consequences to the FOH sound. My main clean sound comes from a Radial ToneBone, levelling my basses, then EBS Multicomp thru a Sansamp Acoustic DI.
  6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have a Presonus BlueMax. I have had very good luck with it in other applications, especially recording. It is not quite an RNC, but close enough for my taste.

I just picked up a really sweet Modulus Genesis fretless 5. I don't want to do anything that robs its tone. That bass is awesome.

As far as the EQ thing, I tend to play the Eden with about two ticks of the enhance (about 8 oclock or so) and maybe a half lick bump on the bass if the booty just aint bumping. But for the most part I play flat. The 210XLT cabinets have enough of a low mid hump in them to sit in the stage mix without boosting the mids.
  7. I personally can hear a difference in Pre EQ and Post EQ compression - and my preferance is Pre EQ.

I think if you compress the signal AND THEN add some bass boost for example, that bass boost will happen every where you play, up high on the neck and down low on the B string. The signal is already compressed so that bass boost down low on the B string won't get out of hand.

As with Post EQ compression, when you boost the bass and hit the low B, the post EQ compressor really clamps down hard on that loud signal leaving a very squashed sound but hardly effects the notes up high on the neck which in turn sounds rough and processed to my ears.

To hear the difference, put the compressor Pre EQ and then Post EQ. For testing purposes use heavy compression and large bass and trebel boosts.

I think Pre EQ compression sounds better, more even and professional and most importantly more musical.
  8. To see what you like better, plug the Modulus into the BlueMax into the front end of the Eden. First, crank the EQ on the Modulus, heavy compression on the BlueMax and leave the Eden EQ flat. Second test, EQ on the Modulus flat, again heavy compression on the BlueMax, and EQ using the Eden. Make sure to reset all of your gains correctly each time and go back and fourth. Which set up do you like better?
  9. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I agree, run the compressor first. You will get a more natural and punchy sound. Post compression can make your sound very soft and not cut as well.