Pros and cons of singlecuts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FaBu-, Sep 6, 2004.

1. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    I'd like to know if there are some negative/positive things about singlecut basses when comparing to basic designs (double cutaway?)?

positive things I can think of:

negative things I can think of:
    -less balanced?

Pleace help me out deciding the shape of my future bass (7 strings btw)! :help:
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    There was a fairly big thread on this recently, and I think the general concensus was that it's almost purely an aesthetic thing.
  3. Haha, here's my take on it:

-Positive: none

-Negative: Ugly as anything!! (I really don't find them attractive.)
  4. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    +100 :spit:
  5. You think single cut away basses look better than double cut away basses? My god........ :eyebrow:
  6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Hmmmm.. You know, maybe they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream for a reason...

7. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Most single cuts I think look bad, but there is some beautiful ones, I think most would look bad, strapped on though, except maybe like a Les Paul or Tele bass. I don't care much for those either.
  8. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Well, obviously the looks is a matter of opinion, but the thing I wanted to know is are there some things that affect the bass in a bad way that I couldn't think of... It seems that there aren't.

I guess that you're in a minority on this forum. At least IME most of the open minded bassists here like the singlecut designs. The thing I hate most when it comes to instruments is conservatism (spelling?). If something is different it doesn't mean that it's worse.
  9. I actually have owned and played a couple of very resonant instruments with single cuts, that I think the design added to to their resonance. However, I''ve not been convinced that its a night and day difference....that being said I think the biggest draw is for their asthetic appearance. As for looks, I think they're a bit trendy and like 'em or not their popularity will wane. They'll always be around, but not in the numbers that their being churnned out now. I wouldn't compare their longevity to the classics (a J or P), but only time will tell.
  10. FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    I think you're right about the appearance thing. It really is a trend atm. At first I didn't like 'em at all, but now I just love 'em! But i don't know if I should get one, because if I start to feel uncomfortable with the appearance at some point, I know that I wouldn't play it as much as if I liked the looks.
  11. I tend to keep open-minded about instrument appearance; I think the MM bongo looks good. (if you're offended by that last statement, please disregard this post. :p ) Anyhow, the only prominent/popular trait I've seen used on basses that I really don't care for is the single-cut thing. They looks so mathematically imbalanced, or something like that, and it makes me feel uncomfortable.
  12. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    As to your question,
    1. I find them far better looking than most double cut basses.
    2. I haven't noticed really added sustain-I think that comes more from a solid, heavy body and a heavy bridge.
    3. My singlecut is not heavy at all-around 8 lbs total-there really isn't that much wood added in a singlecut, and the part that is added is often carved in the rear.
    4. I don't understand how people would think they're less balanced-a heavy neck or short upper horn would lead to poor balance, but singlecut designs naturally improve balance-this is a pic of mine while standing-no neck dive whatsoever.
  13. Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    Bryan, That's not an objective answer... because you own one of the best SingleCut basses ever builted! :cool:
  14. He may not be an impartial judge, be I'd say for the most part, an objective observation.
  15. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    From Chris Stambaugh's site...

"The single cut-away shape has grown in popularity in the past couple of years. People attribute characteristics to the design that make it seem an advantage over a traditional double cut-away. First, some say that having the body joined so far up the neck helps add to the instrument's resonance. If this is true, it is a subtle effect. The main factors determining an instrument's resonance are the type of construction (neck-through vs. bolt-on), and the mass and volume of the body. The extended bout of a single cut-away actually adds a significant amount of mass to the body, and this may be the real cause of any tonal difference. The other claim is added stability of the neck. This is half-true, and may actually not be an advantage. The extended upper bout firmly holds the bass side of the neck in place, while the treble side is left to flex in the normal fashion. This will theoretically result in a twisted neck. In the years I have made single cut-aways, I have not noticed this to be a serious problem. For six string basses, this problem is easily corrected with the two independent truss rods.

I have done many variations of single cut-aways in the past year, and none affect the price. For five and six string basses, the only factor is balance, requiring an extra long upper bout to mimic the strap button placement of a normal double cut-away."

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
  16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Nordstrand singlecut is my favorite of all my basses, as far as looks go.

It does have a lot of sustain, but so do my Peavey Cirrus(neck through) and Zon Sonus(bolt on).

My Nordstrand weighs about 9 lbs. I have three basses that are lighter, and eight that are heavier.

The Nordstrand is also tied for the most balanced instrument I own, along with my Zon. Standing up, with a strap, the neck stays wherever I put it. All of my other basses have at least a tiny amount of neck dive.

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR title="Post 1641631" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>6-3-2</TD><TD class=alt2>Most single cuts I think look bad, but there is some beautiful ones, I think most would look bad, strapped on though, except maybe like a Les Paul or Tele bass. I don't care much for those either.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Does this look bad, strapped on?

17. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004

I'm more into strawberry myself :D

but IMO, I like singlecuts as much as like doublecuts, some are better than others in both cases of course. Personally I'd be inclined to give the SC a try with an extended range instrument, could add a bit of extra stability to the neck maybe?
  18. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd say yes it does look bad. Same with that other picture of the guy playing one. The Single cut seems to take attention away from all other parts of the bass probably because it's awkward.
  19. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Only because you're holding it, dude. :D

Actually, I love Embellishers bass. Very lightweight, and extremely resonant. It was my favorite bass I played at the Dallas GTG. Way cool.

I dig the single cut look. Who's playing with their thumb over the neck beyond the 12th fret anyway?
  20. Nah, it really doesn't do it for me, including in those pictures.