1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pros and Cons of Super Slinkys:

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Mar 11, 2008.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    I've been using DR Hi-Beams lately, but they feel so sticky when I play..its like they're coated in sandpaper..It's so hard to manuver on the plucking hand, so I figured I'd go back to my Super Slinkys if the Hi-Beams don't grow on me anytime soon.

I know the strings are really light, but are there any real disadvantages to super slinkys? (ernie ball..40/60/75/90/120 or whatever it is)

or..any Pros?

alembicguy likes this.
  2. Well, they don't sound like stainless steel Hi-Beams, that's for sure. =P

3. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    I'd just give them a shot. I haven't used them, but they're cheap and I've heard nothing but good. Go for it!

4. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I've used super slinkys for a long time and loved them. I haven't had a problem with them and deliver a great tone when new. (Even when well weared... which I actually prefer. :))

5. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I have used Reg slinks and hi-beams, on my 5r, liked them both. Imo, the hi-beams B and E strings have a bit more tension; its possible that the super slinks will be less taught.

6. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Have you considered GHS Bass Boomers? I'm only asking because I used to use super slinkys almost exclusively, but I switched to boomers and haven't regretted it. I prefer the tone and clarity to the slinkys. Also, it looks like you play a fretless, so I'm not sure how that would play into the sound with the boomers.

7. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    Well my main is a Cirrus 5 BXP..i just use a fretless for jazz..on there i just use d'addario flats..but im using hi-beams for my cirrus at the moment..but i hate how they feel sticky, so im trying to figure out the next strings i should get.

8. iScott

iScott

Jun 13, 2007
    Decatur, GA
    My experience with Ernie Ball (both with guitar and bass) is this; they're affordable, stay in tune well and will sound good for a week or two, but when they are worn they sound like poo.

9. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I second that EB's die quickly. And I'm not fond of their dead sound. However they growl like no tomorrow when they are new and fresh. I would recommend the 45-65-80-100 set though.