1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pros and Cons of the Kahler Tremolo

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stickk, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  1. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Well, I have enough money to buy one of these right now, still deciding if I should get one, so i was wondering about the pros and cons of this bridge. Are there any? I'll be putting it on my FenderOmega.

2. pro = you can do tremolo stuff.
    con = you can do tremolo stuff.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I wouldn't do it. That bass is really different and really nice. I think a trem on it would just be a bit much.

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    besides, that thing is fretless, right? you can get pretty much the same effects without ripping the heart out of your tone with a tremolo bridge.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't think it would rip the heart of the tone out at all. Nobody ever complained about Victor Wooten's Foderas or Dave LaRue's Sterlings with Kahlers. I have a bass with one and I have no desire to get another one, but I do like mine. I'm not an expert on them, but here's what I know:

1. Strings won't last if the break angle is too steep. I actually had to put a thin plate under mine in order to raise the bridge up to lessen the break angle.

2. It's a giant PITA to install one. It involves a considerable amount of routing. It would probably cost you as much as the bridge itself to have a pro repairman install it.

3. You get past the first two and it works really well and it's a lot of fun. Stays in tune well, too. Not a whole lot of range to it, but you can do some cool stuff.

Again, I have no desire to have another bass with one, but I'm glad I have one. It's definitely something you can live without.

6. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Thanks for the info. Routing's no problem for me, so I can install it.

7. Yvarg

Yvarg

Mar 10, 2007
    Buena Park, CA
    The biggest kicker for me is that in order to get a decent bending range you have to use lighter strings, which can be annoying if you prefer heavier gauge strings. I actually string my Kahler with the highest four strings from a six string set, but still tuned E A D G.