Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pros and cons of think vs thin strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sampsonite, Mar 24, 2001.

1. sampsonite

sampsonite

Aug 27, 2000
    i am just totally clueless about thinkness of strings....i mean does it really make all that much difference? i have only had to buy a few sets of strings and they all were alike. and what about the company? i mean which company makes the best quality of strings?

2. sampsonite

sampsonite

Aug 27, 2000
    sorry i mean to say thick vs thin in the subject my bad

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Jeff Berlin says they don't. Personally, I don't agree, particularly on the E and G strings or roundwounds. But he's the big time, and I'm not.

DR, Rotosound, D'Addario, Pyramid, Thomastik-Infeld and Ernie Ball all make pro quality strings, among others. There are only a few actual string manufacturers, but there are a lot of companies who have strings made by these few manufacturers and put their own brand name on them.

Rotosound and www.webstrings.com were may favorites, but now I prefer DR's.

www.bassplayer.com has a lot of good info. on strings, especially in the "Gear" section.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I wish i had strings that think...

5. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'll second that, Angus... Maybe I could be the next Jaco or Chris Squire... Can you tell me where you got the strings that think?

Alright... now that I'm done exploiting your spelling error...

Thickness of strings accounts for certain things in a bass depending on what bass...

It's like this... You have to try to keep a good string tension, so if you have a 34" bass (standard) or longer you'd generally want to have thin gauge strings... And a short scale bass? You'd generally want to have heavy gauge srings.

Generally though, the thicker the strings the better the tone... As far as I've heard, although I beg to differ... I had medium GHS boomers on my bass a while ago, and I changed to the GHS boomer lights and they sounded much better... Although now I'm using GHS brite flats (light gauge) and I think that sounds best IMO. (I use a 34" bass)

Hope that helps.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Read the post of the person i quoted, smart guy. Then you may continue to "exploit my spelling error." ;)

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

hahahahahaha, christ... Angus. I don't post in threads to make fun of you. I wasn't making fun of you. I was poking fun at the thread starter, not you.

When I said "I'll second Angus" I was meaning that I wish I had strings that think also. haha.

Christ... You need to follow me better. I do use proper grammar and all.

8. In my case, i lost a lot of bottom with thinner rotosounds (95's), and now i'm using DR's (105) which are great...thickness makes difference for me...

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've tried everything from .030-.090 to .050-.110 and I've settled years ago for .035-.095 (stainless steel). I went back to .040-.100 for a short while last year, but I didn't like the feel and didn't notice any sound differences.
    .035-.095 is the gauge for me and I like their sound and never heard any complaints. :)

10. Well, I just restrung my bass with a 110-55 set, and got my luthier to adjust the truss rod and stuff. I'm sold. It's like adding an inch of scale length!. The added tension really tightened up the E. It's got huge low end but it's really tight and defined as well. Punch city! Tone city! It allowed me to get my action really low with no buzzes or clicks, which I'm really digging. It's a lot harder to bend though. Oh well. There's definately a sound difference between string guages though. I definately like the sound of big strings better. I ain't never goin small again. But that's just me. There's no right or wrong guage strings, just preference. The necks of any good basses are easily capable of withstanding the extra tension, or so my luthier says....He's my best friend so I hope he wouldn't lie:D

11. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Heavy strings = deep
    Light strings = bright

Michael Manring uses like spiderwebs on his Hyperbass -- something like .080 through .020 or some such. And sometimes he tunes the low string to C! He slaps and pops and it sounds great solo but you couldn't support a band with that tone. So it all depends what you want.

eli@Iuselights.com

12. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I've been partial to the .100 E strings for a long time, and I get plenty of low end. I have noticed a slight difference in the .105 set I put on my Epiphone, but not overly significant. FWIW, low end E strings typically weren't available above .103 as recently as 15 years ago. The trend towards fatter strings is somewhat new (and likely a throwback to the '60s with people like James Jamerson)

13. That's what I used to think. But when I moved up to 110s, I got a bit more real low end, but what I really noticed was that the low end was really defined and punchy, kinda like playing a 35" scale. That's what I was looking for: knock you down punch without a bunch of loose bottom end floating around.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I use GHS brite flats.. they're groundwound's.
    I use 'em on my 34" bass, and they get tons of good smooth bottom end, but still have great punch.

The scale of 'em are
    G - 45
    D - 56
    A - 77
    E - 98

They're really light, but I guess since they're groundwound's they get good bottom end too.
    And since they're light they get more of a punchy sound to them.

I think they're better than Blue Steels to be honest... My first set of string changes was to Blue Steels heavy gauge (when I had my Fender Music Master) But then on my other bass I tried boomers 'cause I always thought the pack looked really interesting (I know that's silly.. but ever since I was little I liked the pack on them)

And to my surprise they actually sounded REALLY good. Then I tried my Brite flat's 'cause I wanted to change to flats, but still wanted SOME highs, and they filled the string slot perfectly.

Just my opinion on my own strings...

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Those brite flats are unevenly guaged, if you asked me. And they aren't even really light...they're medium. Hell, 45-105 is sometimes considered "heavy".

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Unevenly gauged? They sound fine to me, And look fine too. I'd say their gauged properly. ;)

17. they're light compared to my 110-55's:D;)

18. Ernie Ball PowerSlinky's? 110-55.

I love em. Great strings.

I prefer the larger, higher tension strings myself. I love high tension. It allows me to dig in a bit more but still have fairly low action.

I used to use flats exclusively, but on my fretted, I wanted a different, more dynamic sound. Tried DR Lowriders. They were nice strings, but too bendy for me. Not enough substance under my fingers.

FF

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Crawling Eye...id say no. Those are very unusual guages.

50-110? Not bad, but i've got a set of 55-115s coming for my old 4 string! :eek:

20. Doesn't GHS make those? I'd like to try them!