1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pro's and cons of this bass????

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by PsychoEric, Dec 14, 2006.

1. PsychoEric

PsychoEric

Apr 5, 2006
    I'd just like to know some pro's and cons of this bass....if anybody knows any...thanx! :

3/4 Antigua upright bass ($250 new....hmmmm...ccb....)

laminated back

solid spruce top

solid carved maple neck

ebony fingerboard

:bassist: I'd appreciate any pros and cons...thank you!:bassist:

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I find this one pretty hard to believe. Just an ebony fb slab and a maple neck block would cost more than $250 for the materials. A set of spruce billets for a top would probably be close to that.

I've never heard of the exact brand, but importer label stuff differently all the time. You never know.

3. PsychoEric

PsychoEric

Apr 5, 2006
    yeah, it does sound hard to believe, but i'll have a chance to check it out cuz it's being sold in houston TX and i live there, but, one of this big things i was thinking about is, if there's a way to check that it has an ebony fingerboard?

4. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Hey Psycho,

I don't know anything about you other than what's in your profile, but it looks like you don't own a doublebass yet and you don't actually have a lot of gear. Some people have several basses and a bunch of amps. So, drawing some assumptions about you.

Normally, I would insert the speach here about how spending less than a grand on a bass is a waste of money and blah blah blah and it's true.

However, $250 is almost nothing in db terms. I spend more than that every year on strings.

So, look at it and ask yourself these guestions:

1) Who's selling it? Do they know what it is? Is there a chance that it's properly set up or will you have to pay someone else $500 to get it in shape? Ask them questions and see how believable they are.

2) Look at the bridge feet where they sit on the body. They should be fitted to the top and almost look like they are glued there because they are so perfectly matched. If they don't, it's probably an indication that several things that are less noticable aren't right either. the notches on the F-Holes should be lined up with the middle of the bridge feet and the bridge should sit 1/2 way between them. There should be no horizontal break in the direction of the strings where they cross the bridge (side to side). The shape of the top of the bridge (where the strings go) should closely match the shape of the fingerboard. If these things don't look right, then probably you've got A LOT of setup to do and it's not going to be worth it.

Play it and make sure that you can get a sound out of it. Some of them just won't sing. If you can take someone who knows what they're looking and especially if they know how to play it, it will help. If you know someone who knows about violins or cellos, it might help too.

It's not going to be a good bass. It's a hard instrument to learn to play, even coming from electric bass and if it doesn't resonate and sing for you, it's just going to be harder. But, honestly if it seems O.K. and you can play it and you live in Houston, then I think you'll be able to sell it for $250 at some point in the future. There are always people in markets like that looking for $250 basses.

It won't take you far, but not knowing anything else about it, it might get you started. I'd be more worried about you buying a cheap $900 bass that you'd almost definately lose your money on.

I expect to get flamed for this answer, but LET IT BURN!

I will add, in the flamer's defense, it's not going to be a good bass. It just can't be.

5. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, no flame from here. I agree with TroyK. That price is so low that you could probably recoup your expenses if you sold it as a planter. That being said, I'm not sure it's worth the bother. Sure, you live in the area so you might as well go and see it. Suppose you buy it. Beyond the setup work that it is very likely to need, it is highly likely that it will fight you all the way in your efforts to learn to play. The best thing you can do is take TroyK's advice and take along a seasoned player or someone who knows at what he/she is looking. Yes, $250 is a small amount but why toss it out the window?

6. Cons:

1) The price is 10% of what you'd expect to pay for those features.

2) You don't have any experience with a DB.

3) The brand is something noone has heard of.

4) (I'm guessing) The seller says he doesn't know anything about DBs.

You may be better off paying $250 too much for the (other) DB you'll be playing 6 months from now. :rolleyes:

Pros:
    Life lessons learned. One lesson might be to ignore unconditional advice on the internet.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    If someone was selling, new, a $39 electric bass guitar, what sort of expectations or suspicions might you have of it?

8. I've seen those listed on Ebay and I've always steered clear. In part because the seller says, "IT CAN BE CONVERTED TO A LEFT HANDED BASS BY SIMPLY REVERSING THE STRINGS AND BRIDGE." To me it sounds like a BSO.

I look forward to hearing your opinion after you handle one!

9. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    You know what? I think that's the right perspective. You will definitely get what you pay for. The question really is "Do you want a $250 bass?" The answer might be yes, but it's your call.

10. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    Cost more to ship the basses than the basses themselves (from ebay link)......

Run like hell!

--Paul Haley

11. mpoppitt

mpoppitt

Mar 28, 2005
    Austin Texas
    I think that's the crazy guy I bought my CCB from 8 years ago. This bass will need a complete set-up (at least the bridge, nut, and soundpost addressed), and a new set of strings before it is even remotely playable. All that will cost more than the bass, and the end of the day you still just have a CCB.

I expereienced lots of problems with mine too, like open seams, a broken(!) fingerboard, cracks etc. They are notorious for the necks breaking at the heel, but mine has'nt done that...yet.

Take a pocket knife, a nail file, or even a key with you, and try scratching the underside of the fingerboard. If paint comes off, and the wood underneath is light in color, then it definitely ain't ebony. If it is not ebony, you will enevitably wear grooves in it in a matter of mere months, esp. if you plan on slapping. The one I bought from him for roughly the same price did not have an ebony board, but it was 8 years ago. Did you find him through Ebay? Post a link to that particular bass if you did.

For $250 though, it is better than nothing, I would have never got on the upright if it wasn't for my first CCB. Just know that you are most likely in for some trouble down the road with this thing. Judging by your name, I would guess you plan to slap it, so get some light tension strings, a PU, and check out: http://rockabillybass.com/phpBB/

12. jonly

jonly

Oct 3, 2005
    Springfield, il
    no, that's the Pro.

13. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Hmm. Even that seems debatable. Better to save the $250 in this case.

14. I agree 100%...$250 is still $250, That'll get you 2 sets of strings or a good bag when you finally find a good bass within your budget.

15. accutone

accutone

Sep 10, 2006
    SF CA
    One more voice of reason here. Save your money for something better. This bass willl be a piece of junk, that is my personal guarantee! :eyebrow:

16. $250 for a double bass? Hmmm. Reminds me of the $80 my father paid Beacon Music in Boston for an 1820 Prescott nobody wanted and it sat unsold in the store for 3 years. I hated the looks of it and wanted the new $120 blond Kay, but Dad only had $100. He said, "The old fiddle makes the best music." I wasn't having any and was resentful for years about it. I said it was "as ugly as a mud fence" so the salesman lowered the price from $100 to $80. We had to take it. I spent thousands to restore and convert it to a 5 string neck (was 3 string neck) and now you can have it at arm's length for a mere $70,000. Alternatively, I'll probably bequeath it or sell it cheap to a deserving caretaker.

Then there was the guy in Cambridge, MA who left his $2 million + 'cello on the porch while he first put away his bicycle. It was stolen by a carpenter who gave it to his girlfriend. She thought the case would make a nice decorative wall hanging to hold her CD collecton, so she threw the 'cello in the dumpster. But her boyfriend was lousy at cabinet work and refused to convert the case. Then the newspapers mounted a big search for the priceless 'cello, at which time someone found it in the dumpster. Some people don't know value or lack of it when they see it. Maybe the $250 double bass will make a great CD rack!

17. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    Whoa. I was afraid for a moment that you were suggesting that the $250 bass might be another diamond in the rough like your Prescott. I think we all agree that's just not likely to be the case here. What a great story. You sure hit the lottery! How often does that happen?

18. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Love the pic of the kid "Playing" it...

haha!

19. It says ebonized finger board....not ebony.
    Ebonized means: Painted black or dyed black.