1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pros and Cons of Warwick Thumb 5 BO vs NT?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eugewong, Oct 2, 2008.

1. eugewong

eugewong

Sep 17, 2008
    Hi all,

Been lurking here awhile, but first real post.

I'm seriously considering getting a Thumb 5, but not sure if I want/need a BO or a NT. I prefer the 'look' of the NT, as well as the 3-band, EQ.

What else in difference between the 2 basses should I be aware of?

I'd love to test them out, but it's a little hard to be able to A/B them side by side where I live. I might possibly have to do an eBay...

Thanks in Advance!

2. Honestly not alot of difference besides the price.
    The Bolt on sounds a TAD less percussive... but it is still VERY percussive and dynamic.
    The NT sounds a TAD bit better with more defined growl... but I don't think it's a difference in sound that is worth the added $1500 because the bolt on sounds SOOOOOO sweet to me.
    It is a VERY distinctive tone and worth every penny if you are inclined to how they sound and play.
    Some people like the older Wicks with the Wenge necks but my experience with the new ovangkol necks are positive and they are very excellent instuments.
    *As with ANY recommendations please take the time to try them out before you lay down the cash.*

3. I really, really suggest playing one before you buy one regardless of which you choose. The tone is great, but I think the feel tends to be very hit or miss.

I had a Warwick Thumb 5 BO for a little bit and the feel just wasn't comfortable for me at all. It was neck heavy, with a balance that tended to be about level with the floor. I think that's a pretty common complaint -- but at the same time there are people who play them and like them.

I also would've preferred wider string spacing, but I was (and still am) used to 4 strings, so that may just be me.

4. IAmTheDood

IAmTheDood Shake and Bake

Dec 15, 2006
    Waterford, MI
    +1 .. I had a 4 string NT that sounded great .. but playing it 3 hours in practice gave me a neck strain .. always adjusting the neck position as it dove on me.

5. NT is fatter (more fundamental lows) sounding and a little more hi fi
    BO has more attack, more midrange and is a tad more articulated

6. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    The neck through's prettier. As for the actual difference in sound, at least from my experience, it isn't very much (although I'm talking about comparing an older wenge neck model with a newer NT, the ovenkol might be different)...and what little I perceived could have just been my imagination. Definitely not enough to justify the difference in cost if that was the one factor making you choose one over the other. The two band vs. three band thing isn't a big deal either. I thought it would be a problem when I bought mine, but it hasn't even though I do a lot of adjusting from one song to the next.

Like the other posters have said though, I'd recommend trying one out before you buy it. If you like to carry your bass up high with the neck parallel to the ground, then it'll be pretty comfy. If you wear it low with the neck at more of a 45 degree angle to the ground, the neck dive will bug the hell out of you.

7. eugewong

eugewong

Sep 17, 2008
    Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, great advice!

I read somewhere where the writer felt that the NT's 26 fret neck made slapping impossible and/or difficult.

Has that been an issue to any of you?

Thanks!