Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pros/cons active vs. passive?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Alex, Nov 13, 2005.

1. What are the pros and cons of active and passive electronics? I imaginge that making a bass w/ passive pickups is easier, but how much easier is it exactly?

2. Here's how it breaks down for me:

I am a passive man. I have passive setups in both my instruments, and that's all I want in anything for the future (unless something really jumps out at me). The wiring is way, way simpler for me, and for almost every beginner out there, passive is how they start. You can rig an entire electronics setup with a volume pot, a tone pot, and a .047mfd capacitor, and you can get a lot of different sounds. Plug that into a decent amp with a reliable preamp in it that you like, tweak it a little bit, and you'll be very set. I haven't spent enough time with actives to know everything about them, but the wild array of knobs that do this, that and the other thing is too much for me. I could never use all of those, and after I got my tone dialed in, would probably never touch them again. And its another battery that I don't want to have to worry about, even with the fairly rare chance that it would actually go out on me while playing. To me, there's nothing that can compare to a couple of single coil passive pickups run through a good tube setup.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Acitve is a little more shapeable tonewise, and passive are more reliable.

If you buy the active control, it is probably as easy or easier to assemble.

But, mano, aren't you just about spamming this forum with so many threads? ;)

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Exactly, when there's even a whole subforum dedicated to Pickups and electronics

5. my bad guyz, I just always go to this forum because I'm building a bass, and I have a lot of questions. I guess I should post them in the correct forums. Sorry.