Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pros/Cons of EB MM 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Nov 3, 2002.

1. what are the pros and cons of the ernie ball musicman 5's?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I've had a few, and IMO, the only negatives are cosmetic: that big, huge, butt-ugly pickguard and the body is a bit large if you are a smaller person.

The pluses outweigh the negs, though...they sound great, play great, construction is very very good (solid!). They can be had used for a really affordable price, also.

If the size/pickguard thing bothers you as it did me, you might check into it's cousins in the G&L line...they seem to me to be a step forward while retaining the basic form. All products of the mind of Leo Fender, after all.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    IMHO - personal preferences apply:

+ Powerful MM sound
    + Comfortable to play (34", body shape)
    + Looks (there are some tasteless colors though...)

- A bit heavy
    - B-string could be better (34"?)

4. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I can't seem to find another bass for a comparitive price gives me the sound that the SR5 does. Mind you I wish I could get the sound out my SR5 that I get out of my 78' 4-string. But that's another issue. The only down side for me is the weight of the thing. At 5'6" tall and 145 lbs., after 4 hours this thing gets heavy. But we are bassist's not whiners, or we would have chosen the trumpet or some other small instrument. And we do the driving.

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The pickguard problem can be defeated by buying a black bass with a black one or a white bass with a white one. IMHO the sunburst/tortoise combo looks might fine.

I've had mine since 97 and dont plan to trade it in the near future.

6. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The pickguard is of course a matter of taste - I actually like the 5-string pickguard, but think the round one on the 4-string looks weird.

7. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    That is all I have and all I play. I agree with Mike that the SR5's and the G&L 4's are tops in quality and construction for a production line bass. I love G&L's and MM SR4's...but the reason I go with the MM SR5 is the B string. Anders is right, it is only a 34 inch B string, but it sounds as good as my Modulus Q6 B did anyday. I think they have the Best B strings around, regardless of the fact that it is a 34 inch, bolt on, mass produced bass.

Check one out.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    SR5s are heavy... but they are built solid. I owned a stingray 5 for awhile and I did love it much, but I traded it eventually for something that could offer me more tonal possiblities... Even though the Stingray doesn't have any bad tones IMO, I felt for me i needed something else..

I do miss my stingray a bit.. i think I may have to invest in one again someday... They are fine basses and fit in just about any style of music

9. Couldn't you buy a 4 string pickguard and have it routed for the 5 string neck and pickup? Or just have someone custom make a 5 string 4-style pickguard? And get a metal control plate like on the 4s?

10. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    Pro's (for me) :
    - very affordable.....and solid.....yet I don't worry about where I bring it.

Con's (for me) :
    - The 'B' doesn't really do it for me.....

I don't find my SR5 to be too heavy......and it balances pretty well , so you don't notice it.
    I don't mind the p/g.....

Good solid , affordable 5'er !!!

PJR

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Pro--Tone, playability, build quality. If you like the "native" sound, there's really no other way to get it. They have a fast, narrow neck, too. And they're made very well.

Con--You have to pay for them.

12. I think a lot of this has been said before but:

Pros: Solid, well built, excellent fit and finish.
    That Stingray sound, with tonal options.
    (i.e. 3 way coil selector)
    I think they look great.
    One of the best B strings of any bass
    regardless of price or scale length.
    Excellent neck.

Cons: They tend to be heavy
    String spacing is tight which some don't
    dig. if you like P-Bass string spacing, you
    may have trouble adjusting.
    Even with the coil selector, it sounds like
    a MusicMan. Some people like more tonal
    variation.

All around excellent basses, they can be gotten for good prices on the used market.

13. :confused:

B string could be better?

14. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Cons-Not crazy about the pickguard shape, however, it does not look too bad in black. I would much prefer it to be set up like the 4 string Stingray. I also do not care for the way the body is shaped on the front edges with that extra flat area. A rounded body shape would look better to me.

Pros-Tone. Excellent B string (but not as good as my Q5 or my Q6 or my Lakland 55-94). Scott and I disagree on that Modulus/MM B string comparison. The narrow string spacing can be very comfortable and is beneficial if you are having trouble with CTS as I am.

I've only played one SR5 but it convinced me to order one which I'll be getting in a couple of weeks. Hope mine is not too heavy because that can be tough to take on a long gig.

I'm getting my new SR5 from Bass Central and both Gard and Beaver went way out of their way to give me a good deal and take care of me. I surely recommend that you contact them for any products they sell. I've never been treated better by a dealer and seldom as good.:)

Chuck

15. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well, that's how I remember the bass. It is quite a few years ago, so it's quite possible I'm wrong, that I had bad strings or strings of the wrong type or make, or I didn't know enough at the time to use the bass to its fullest - or perhaps had a crappy amp that couldn't match the bass.

I somehow believe my current basses (except the Fender) all have a better sounding fifth string though.

IMHO, YMMV, what do I know anyway, etc. :)

16. how does 1320 USD sound for a stingray 5 in trans teal w/ the black pearloid pg? w/case.

17. well, i personally feel that it is possible to get a 'tighter' B on the basses you guys mentioned because of the longer scale, but to me, the sound and feel of the sr5's B is great.

18. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville

Good deal...

19. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    narrow string spacing is the deal breaker for me.

20. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Same here. I love the tone, can deal with the funky look, but string spacing is too narrow from nut to bridge.

As for the look: I think it's unfortunate that the pickguard covers so much of the body, especially on the burst finishes.