Pros: What's your fretless of choice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassteban, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Professional players, what fretless bass gets the job done for you? And non-pros(like myself), if you know of a particular pro's fretless, chime in.

This is not meant to be a 'Which bass should I get'- I have a couple already & I'm not in the market, just wondering.
  2. A fretless P/J configuaration. I love my fretless p, but miss the tones of the fretless j. Or better yet, a J/P/J with S-1 for the J's and i'd be in heaven.
  3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Pedulla Buzz with P/J configuration=awesome!

4. I don't mean in general- I mean what is your actual bass, which you actually use professionally(live or recording).:D
  5. Warwick Thumb Fretless
    Zon Fretless (Sonus, Legacy)

but if I didn't have to choose a production bass, I'd most likely go custom, Ala Stambaugh.
  6. Interesting- I have a fretless 4-string Stambaugh(LOVE IT:hyper: ), & Wednesday Chris expects to ship my fretless 7(I'll let you know;) ). I also once had a Thumb-5 bolt-on; was not too impressed. Is your Warwick a neck-through? Also, may I ask why you have to choose a production bass? Stambaugh's are pretty underpriced & competetive(price-wise & quality)w/most upper-end basses, IMO.
  7. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I use my FBB fretless 6 regularly for both performance and recording ..... it's the only fretless I use anymore for recording, primarily due to the tone and clarity. I haven't had a "production" fretless in a long time, except for a '68 Goya that I modded into a fretless (but that's just for fun, not for pay) ...... :cool:
  8. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
  9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I have a Pedulla Buzz with a P/J configuration, and it is awesome!

10. "Old reliable": Fender Jazzbass!
    Got an -81 some months ago. It was a wreck when it came into my house, but a extremly fine luthier and some thousand norwegian crowners later, it has become my one and only. Really like an instrument which reveales the sound of my fingers instead of the electronics.
  11. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    Pedulla Penta-Buzz for sure and I typically don't like neck-thru's at all but that bass has a unique voice that cuts!
  12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Standard Fretless Jazz Bass!
    I'm planning on selling it got a killer MM Stingray fretless 5.

13. I think I misread your first post, I dont own either one of those basses. :bawl:

I have played Thumb 4's and 5's both bolt on and neck through fretless and loved them. The NT's just had "That" much more sustain. But the tone is both were just great. I've come to find that I prefer Warwick Fretless over Fretted.

I've only played a Fretted Zon and loved it, but have heard many a fretless one I love the tone they get.

And what I meant to say was, If I had the abilty (meaning the moolah) to go custom I most likely would go custom. And I mentioned Stambaugh because he does great work for low prices and accepts custom designs, and i have a few.
  14. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Rob allen makes a bass that is elegant yet simple while retaining astounding versatility and natural tone. I couldn't see a pro going wrong with one. IIRC it was originally designed for Mark Browne, hence the MB in MB2.
  15. I ADORE my Wal fretless 5; a very unique bass: their own bridge, pickups and electronics, very special, though to each his or her own. Wals are bolt on, so my opinion is a great fretless doesn't have to be a neck-thru bass. I don't know if I would be considered a professional though, pretty experianced at this point in my life !
  16. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I had a Fender Jaco for a while
  17. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    My main fretless axe is an F bass Alain Caron 6 string. That bass has incredible fretless tone.
  18. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    obviously my Carvin LB75F with the two stacked humbuckers. awesome.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wonder how many of these people that are posting really make their living playing bass?
  20. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I doubt very many do, I know I don't. Byt then again I was speaking of a fretless bass that was designed for a well known professional bassist. The original question asked if we knew what basses well known pro bassists prefer as well, I believe I provided a suitable answer to that question