1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Prosecute those who ignore a mandatory evacuation and need to be rescued?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Sep 15, 2008.

1. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    We will never have that kind of man power.

I mean, I have that kind of man power, but the US will never have enough men to do that.

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Not to sound like one of those people who always claims that the government's fascist, or racist or secretly trying to take away our rights, but this is insanity.

There's nothing "mandatory" about a mandatory evacuation order. Its supposed to mean that if you decide to stay, the government will not take any action to rescue you. You should have the right to act like a moron...even if it means you'll die because of it.

If you guys treated the situation as such, this wouldn't even be an issue. Rescuers wouldn't be putting their lives on the line and taxpayers wouldn't have to pick up the expense because there would be no rescue attempts.

However, since we're too civilized a society to act in this way, I say make the people pay the expenses. They shouldn't have expected a rescuer to get them, but if they accept his/her help there should be a price.

3. California catches fire a lot.....

Mike

4. mainly because of inane environmental policy written to appease radical nutjobs, but that's another topic for another day...

5. You guys need to see an evacuation over here, complete chaos, sometimes it's even better to not evacuate, at least that has been said.... There's no way we could punish or prosecute all the people that stays in their homes over here... I know it is a different scenario (different countries, different level of income and stuff like that), but maybe, just maybe there are similarities... It is a constant that the poor people is the people that chooses to stay. Plus, they already have a hard time trying to survive the natural disasters.

6. Also, I'm wondering what good it would do?

7. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I respect people's rights to be stupid and/or wrong.

If they insist on staying, so be it, but other people shouldn't be forced to help them. I guess a pay system would be best, where if they can't/won't pay, they won't get rescued.

Of course, the ultimate answer to the questions that raises is the privatization of rescue services, but there I go waving the an-cap flag again...

8. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    convict them, no. bill them, by all means.

9. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    in Arizona I remember a few years ago putting a bill into effect if you crossed a washout area that was closed due to water run off, you were held responsible for the costs and damages from your rescue. For some reason "Stupid Motorist" law comes to mind? any AZ Tbers wanna clarify?