Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ProSeels/prisms?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fenderbluesdude, Mar 25, 2005.

1. ok i know prisms were discontinued, and pro steels replaced them. intrested in getting a pack of ProSteels from d'addario, to maybe replace my DR lo-riders (SS). i just dont know if they are going to be to bright, for anybody that has used these strings can you click on this link and listen to the video of John Patitucci and tell me if the prosteels sound similar to that.

http://www.daddariostrings.com/DADArtistDetail.aspx?CodaID=1023

thank you

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I don't need to watch the video (although both his and Bryan Beller's are very cool ;) ) - I was a die-hard Prisms users for years who finally thought I'd solved the "string" part of the equation of developing "my sound"... and then D'addario discontinued them. I wrote them a polite yet somewhat harsh e-mail about the above, and that I would be switching brands as retribution. It was almost like a bad breakup. :crying:

Within a day I received an e-mail from a higher-up at the company asking for my mailing address: since I was a former Prism user, he wanted to send me a set of ProSteels to compare for myself and see if they've made any improvements to my ears. Around a week later, I received a free five-string set of ProSteels along with a T-shirt thrown in. After stringing up my main fretted with the strings and letting them "age" for a month or two, I swallow my pride and re-contacted him, admitting I was wrong for prejudging the strings and not giving them a chance when so much time, effort and money was put into improving the Prism line (a year or two - this was not a simply rebranding).

Everything you like about Prisms are there in the ProSteel line, just... tweaked a touch. They "chime" a bit more in the high-end. They're just a bit easier on the fingers - a perfect balance of texture that my can fingertips can grip and
    smoothness that doesn't impede my playing. They're even sonically tighter in the low-end and low-mids, which I never found Prisms lacking.

However, it's been just over 5 months (of at least two hours of practice a day) and they've easily held 80% of their original sound (to be fair on this, I've found my body chemistry is very neutral when coming to strings, and I wipe down after every practice). As a bassist who simply can't afford to change strings every other week, this very well might be the best benefit of all.

Try 'em out. They're the bees knees, and as soon as I run through my stash of Prisms I purchased at discontined prices, I'll be switching over to them on fretted basses full-time. :D

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    +1000

I was part of the beta test here for ProSteels. I've since put my groundwounds back on the bass I used to test them... but I NEED to pick up a set of ProSteels for it again! IMO/E they are the best Stainless round made!

4. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    I've always loved D'Addarios, especially the Prisms/Prosteels, but I love having EXPs and never having to change them. :)

5. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Bit of a late bump.

I just got a set of pro steels today to replace my JVB's (Nice strings, just can't find em locally).

Wow. Put it this way. Even the lead singer of 'his' band that i'm in could tell the difference and said my bass sounded awesome.

$47Au bucks is pretty cheap for strings too, i'm gonna bulk order some of these things. Big lows, crisp sound, punchy and cutting without sounding brittle and harsh, or too bright.

$0.02

6. jb64

jb64

May 4, 2003
    Connecticut, USA!
    Endorsing Artist: Carvin Guitars, Bass Amps & Pro Audio
    I've been using the Pro Steels since April '05 and I love them! The company sent me a couple of boxes of their 5 string Super Longs while I was on tour in Japan. The B string isn't tapered though. I need to get the tapered B string set soon!

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I also use D'addario strings on some basses but I use "slowwounds" yes I know that they are discontinued just like prisms are but I pay $9 bucks a set! All new D'addario strings use the slowwound process so "slowwounds" are being blow out if you can find them! I'm sitting on top 4 sets of new slowwounds and a set of prisms right now!

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    ProSteels got me away from my beloved LaBellas for years. I got them by mistake in an order (the company sent the right strings and let me keep the Prosteels to try) and I fell in love.

9. caruso

caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    OT though but concerning D'Addario: what string replaces the slowound?
    I one had them on a Status and it sounded great but was not able to find another set. Now I know why.

10. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The original slowound string was the first to be wound that way, Now all D'addario strings are wound that way. Prosteels are supposed to be the "new" slowounds even though slowounds only came in nickel.

11. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I know this is the revival of a dead horse, but I just bought a set of Prisms from my local Sam Ash today. I was surprised the store still carried them; (they had SlowWounds too.) I had originally intended to get ProSteels to try, but the Prisms were there in my gauge (45-100) and the ProSteels were not. The Prisms were dead cheap too.

I pretty much haven't stopped playing my bass since I put the Prisms on today. They're surprisingly smooth for steels and sound quite good on my bass ('97 Corvette Standard.)

but judging from what Ian says, I think I may dig the ProSteels even more. More chime, tighter lows and mids... sounds like they'll really unleash the beast in my Warwick even more than the Prisms already seem to do.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I take that back..... I've since rediscovered Hi Beams and Fat Beams.

The Prosteel are a close second for me though ;)

13. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Prisims were zingier but rougher on fingers and frets. ProSteels are smoother all around both feel and sound.

14. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    Heh.. I was just about to ask how they stand against DR High Beams and Fat Beams.. been playing High beams for over a decade.. Still haven found a string to match them in sound and durability.. (I haven tried Fat Beams yet.. ;)

Recently I got to play a fresh set of Slinkys on a P-bass.. I fitted them in the morning.. after playing about 4-5 h they were getting.. yea.. dull.. realy disapointing.. But.. the guy who owned the bass liked dull... so... no harm done.. :D

15. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    No. That bass he was plying did not have ProSteels on it. The Bryan Beller video does.

16. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Dead horse, I know, but I had a chance to try out a set of ProSteels.

Honestly, I liked the Prisms better. The ProSteels are grindier in tone and have deeper lows, but don't have the smoothness in tone or high end ping that I perceived in the Prisms.

17. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

The sound isn't bad and neither is the price, but I don't like the tension. Too stiff.

18. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    FWIW, John Patitucci is now playing Half-Rounds from D'Addario.

He is always going to retain HIS sound, no matter what he uses though.