Protec bag for WT550

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Humabass, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Humabass

Humabass Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    I'm thinking of getting a 2 space Protec rack bag for my WT550. I'm concerned about proper ventilation. Anybody have any input on whether this may make the amp run too hot. I could get a 3 space to allow for better ventilation but would prefer not to.

2. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
  3. The Eden's vent out the back and don't run very warm. Unless you are cranking it into a 2ohm load, I think 2 spaces will be fine.

4. mbrain

Feb 20, 2006
    Well, first, the WT550 vents out the side, not the back.

I've got my WT400 in a 4-space protec bag (with some other stuff). That said, I wouldn't worry at all about using a 2-space bag--indeed, that might aid the cooling because the top of the bag would force the air out of the back, rather than allowing it to go over the top of the amp and recirculate, if you follow me. Either way should be find, though.
  5. I must be confusing the Eden fan with my Thunderfunk. I could have sworn my Wt400 and the WT550 I tried out had a fan on the back panel that pulled air through the unit and vented in the back. Sorry for the mistake... however, I always had my Eden head in a 2 space rack with no trouble.
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    ime the eden does not get as hot as some amps, and the less than 19" size increases ventilation. However, if you want to get REALLY protable, the gig bag eden makes (or has made for them) for the 300 - 550 series is great. smaller than a standard rack bag, extra pouches, handles, etc. I'm not a big extras guy, but those type of bags for the less than 19" amps are great. I had one for my 400, and if i get a 550 i'm certainly going to get another one.
  7. +1 on that bag. The only negative was that, at least on the older ones, the DI volume control was not very protected... it kind of punched into the bottom of the bag. However, for the small size of that head, it seems a shame to put it in a full size rack.
  8. Humabass

Mar 16, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the input. I ordered the Protec. I've been using an SKB small mixer case which fits the amp nicely but doesn't leave enough room for cord/cables. I also like to just unzip and start pumping..........out the lows;)
  9. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    +1 if you can find an older bag. The new ones look sharp, but don't fit the amp well.