1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Protect your basses!!! I learn things the hard way...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mikeyd74, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I just got a brand new Fender Geddy Lee Jazz. I traded four basses in order to get it if that tells you anything about how much I wanted this particular bass. I finally got it home after the long trade in process at the store and I was so excited to play it that I just threw a strap on it and started to jam. The strings were kind of dead so I sat down to put some brand new strings on it and when I stood up WHAMMO!!! The strap came loose at the bottom and the bass swung into my desk. A big chunk of paint is now missing from under the lower horn. Ironically I had a set of strap locks sitting on my desk about 6 inches from where my bass hit it.
    Sometimes the Bass Gods can be very cruel.
    The moral of the story,
    Take time to put the strap locks on your bass when you get it home, no matter how badly you want to start playing it right away.
    I'll post some pics of it when I get home for all of you to enjoy.

2. What 4 bases did you trade in?

3. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    Schecter C-4 XXX, Ibanez ATK300, Ibanez SR500, & Charvel Fusion IV.
    I had them up on craigslist and got seriously annoyed by people rediculously lowballing the price I had listed. They don't hold much resale value but I ended getting a decent trade in for them. Straight up trade.

4. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
  5. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Sorry to hear that Mike. I had a similar experience with my Gibson SG that I saved so long for. I was adjusting the bridge height with a screwdriver and was pressing so hard that I skipped off the screw and gouged my new SG. Almost a 1/4" spot missing from a sweet heritage cherry paint job, the Gods can be cruel.

6. After the initial shock wore off, I was kind of excited to finally have a bass with some "mojo". IMO its only mojo if you get it the hard way and it seems like your little "incident", qualifies.

7. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    It's kind of funny that people "relic" their basses on purpose, they could just give it to me for a few minutes and I'll do it the good ol' fashioned way.

8. whitedk57

whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC
    Alanis Morrisette's song comes to mind...

Isn't it ironic?

"It's like, your bass takes a dive... and the straplocks are on the desk!". :meh:

9. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    That is why I love my BTB, the thing is beat to hell, and when I drop it or smash against light fixtures, I do not get upset. Just adds to its character ;)

10. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    LMAO, That actually makes a hell of a lot more sense then most of that songs lyrics. Some of that song really isn't that ironic.

11. I always found it ironic that a song about irony contains so little actual irony. It's really just a series of bummers.

Anyway, back on topic. Bummer. I feel for ya!

12. beat up jazz basses look cooler than most beat up basses!

13. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    I agree, Jazz basses do look great all beat up.
    But when it's your own brand new bass that you've had in your house for barely a 1/2 hour you might feel differently.

I have to say that when it happened I handled it pretty well.
    I just let out a really slow sigh and simply said to myself, "Well........that's gonna leave a mark."

14. Mikeyd74

Mikeyd74

Jul 28, 2007
    Here's my brand spankin' new Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass!
    P1010695.

.......and here's the chip! Doh!
    P1010701.

15. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    first of many.. i wouldnt worry about it :)

16. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Sharpie it up ;)

17. Well, you won't even see it while playing.

18. LP75

LP75

Aug 29, 2006
    Seattle
    Some people will pay an extra $2000 to have that done to a new bass. You got it for FREE!

19. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I've been using strap locks for about 7 years now. I wouldn't leave home without them.